Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dash Voltmeter!

Sold those? I bought a monitor from them. I'll buy a battery form the same place I bought my dead one from. There expensive but they weight 1.5lbs and if I get another 4 years from the new one that will put me @ 72 and quite possibly may need another new battery again to bring me to 76.

Ah gotcha. I didn't understand what you wrote. Ya, I run Li-Ion batteries in my motorcycles with great results. Same rules apply, no matter the tech. Cheap is cheap. Good is good.

Two of my Shorai batteries are over 6 years old! No tender, no problem

https://youtu.be/XthmS5ewgpY
    Hopefully this vid. clip works here. My little voltmeter mod.
    Last edited by TheWood; 02-04-2021 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Ah gotcha. I didn't understand what you wrote. Ya, I run Li-Ion batteries in my motorcycles with great results. Same rules apply, no matter the tech. Cheap is cheap. Good is good.

Two of my Shorai batteries are over 6 years old! No tender, no problem
    I think my biggest issue is the bike only get used in the warm months and even then once every 3 weeks or so. I pulled the battery from the bike and put it on the charger. It appears to be taking a charge, we will see. Figures as much as I just ordered a new one. There must be some parasitic loss somewhere when it's connected to the bike and it wouldn't surprise me seeing as how I've cobbled up the ign. wiring to delete the key function.

Li-Ion batteries themselves don't lose voltage like a regular acid battery does, so you're probably right about the draw. You probably know this but, pull the negative and put an amp meter between the post and the wire (at the lowest setting), that will tell you for sure.

Li-Ion batteries also charge at a higher voltage, so a specific charger will keep them alive longer as well as balancing the cells. Most new batteries have that circuit built in.

Both Buells can sit for many months and fire right up, the track EBR gets about 2-3 weeks max so I keep that one on the Shoria charger/maintainer because it's only used about once a month. Hoping to change that soon!

I'll go one the hunt for an amp meter.

Edit; I can use a DMM for this check and what I found is there's nothing wrong. I left the ignition on, draining the battery. The old Antigravity seem to be taking a charge. Guess I'll have a spare. Where's that face plant emoji.

Suns out. I need to get up off my arse, go outside and get something done.
    Last edited by outthere; 02-04-2021 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    You probably know this but, pull the negative and put an amp meter between the post and the wire (at the lowest setting), that will tell you for sure.
    Most DVMs can measure a small amount of amps. (<10)

or a test light.

Bikes in good health after checkout.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12