Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XB front rotor bolts

I'm with this guy ^^^ I'll inspect and re-use. They only go to 25ft/lbs so well below any stretch-to-torque and into an aluminum wheel that would give out way before a hardened bolt would*.

* Some versions of the hardware do have a very thin necked down area on the shoulder of the rotor bolt like the anti-theft bolts on the lock cylinder. I have NO idea why they'd do that unless its an engineered weak spot to save a wheel from damage? Because EVERY ham fisted wanna-be mechanic/owner wants to crank the living **** out of rotor bolts, caliper bolts, wheel axles, pinch bolts, and drain plugs. Aaaaargh

And you'll have to pry my EBR rotor hardware from my cold, dead, hands Aaron! It was a game changer for rotor heating and smoothness at the track. On the street? Probably make-a no difference-a.

bought the EBR set from Diesel Moto for my project and going to inspect and reuse the current ones on my spare set of wheels but may powder coat that set red...

Also on the stock application the bolts are really only holding the “bushing” to the rim. The rotor just floats on it. The ebr application actually uses the bolts to hold the rotor to the rim.

You forget, I don’t track my bike, nor do I lean in turns. I talk a big game like I know all about how to work on my bike, but I ain’t all that either. I’m really only good at heckling people on a forum.

That also reminds me, I need to check my swingarm drain plug. How much you wanna bet it’s stripped?
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-14-2020 at 06:29 AM.

Don't sell yourself short buddy. You're not that good at heckling either

And yes, both drain plugs are completely stripped, wheel bearings shot, fork oil from the Jurassic age, DOT 1 brake water... Welcome to Buell-masochism pal. Hey that reminds me, do you need a decent front tire? I have a few thats aren't old, no repairs, probably a little squared off but really good tread in the middle at least. Perfect for a guy that commutes or just cruises.

Quote Originally Posted by thrstrmech View Post
    how many of you reuse your hardware? the manual states to use new cause reusing old would not achieve proper torque value or something to that affect...
    I did. No problem

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    You can also look to EBR for their hardware kit. I think I'm one of the few who prefer the stock floating setup.
    Well, here is what happened to me :
    at around 17500km (guess that would be around 11000miles). I had some problem with my rotor. It was vibrating when I was braking. I brought my bike to the dealer and he said that the floating kit was not floating anymore because it was seized (is that the right word in english ?). So he had to clean the bolts and stuff and it was okish... but, well, the rotor had been slightly warped because of that.
    So I changed my rotor around 1000 miles later... Because of that Buell "floating" setup. (still using the floating setup and Buell rotor.
    Now (like 2000 miles later), I have the EBR rotor + EBR kit and as it is not floating as much (still floating a little bit though) it is not suppose to get seized. So the rotor is not suppose to get wrapped anymore. Actually, I have it for like 2000 miles and it is feels great. No way I ever go back.
    edit : also TBH, I also installed the ZTL2 brake when I got my EBR rotor + EBR fixing kit so... That "might" also be part of the reason why I don't want to go back.

Last edited by Niklos; 10-14-2020 at 08:24 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12