Thread: Buell Common Mod

Buell Common Mod

I am still learning but I believe I have read enough about my 2008 Firebolt to learn about some of the modifications. I have a Jardine exhaust and I am in the process of learning how to check to see if the bike was tuned correctly for that muffler or not. I think that it has an airbox mod (correct terminology?) because I can hear the air intake like I could when I would take the airbox top off of my Honda ATV as a kid because I thought the sound was "cool" and I can also look in the little front screen next to the gas cap and see the air filter. My main questions are this:

I'm not worried about having a super powerful bike (its beautiful and strong enough as it is stock) and I want my bike to be close to original as possible. Does what I am talking about make sense? If what I am talking about is correct, is the airbox mod a good mod that you would recommend leaving? Can I order the airbox top new and put it on to get rid of the airbox noise and/or are there more components removed the during the mod that I would have to get as well?

When I come up to a stop or idle just perfectly it seems as though it kind of coughs and pops from time to time. is this something anyone else has experienced and/or is this somewhat common on the 1203 thunderbolt. Curious if it could possibly a tuning issue.

i want to learn about good and borderline necessary modifications for longevity but otherwise want it stock and vintage.

Anyone help or have any thoughts?

The best mods for longevity to keep it "stock and vintage" that hugely affect driveability is just get caught up on maintenance. Download a service manual from buellmods.com. Make sure the intake seals aren't leaking. Make sure your injectors are clean and flowing fuel properly. Make sure the cylinder base gaskets or rocker box gaskets aren't leaking. Verify the fuel pump is working correctly and putting out enough fuel. Pick up a Buelltooth and check to make sure there aren't any codes stored that may become a problem later.

If you want it to sound cool and look "stock and vintage" look for a NOS factory race muffler. They are hard to find and pretty expensive, but they fit the bill of what you are requesting, and dont look like a garage hack. There are other exhausts that are quality and sound great (Dean Adams, Drummer SS, etc), but they do not look "stock and vintage".

Sputtering and popping isn't normal. These aren't perfect machines, but they are better than that!

1) If you don't want to hear the intake, you'll be fine putting a stock airbox lid on your ride. As the years went by they got more and more 'open' from the factory, but all XB airbox lids interchange. Pick what you like best

2) Pick any muffler you like the looks of. The Buell Race muffler is basically an open stock can with an extra outlet. A Drummer is a stock can with the end cut off and packed. Both work well and sound good.

3) REPAIR any issues. This may include using something like ECMDroid (using a Buelltooth dongle to communicate with your ECM) to diagnose and REPAIR the bike.

4) Now you can think about opening the tuning can of worms, and NOT before you finish all the other steps.