Thread: Long, long, long, way up.

Long, long, long, way up.

The tale of an uber-rich, famous guy, paying to open hotels that are closed and parking his electric bike on top of their Persian rugs, while the diesel powered flatbed truck that is paid to follow him uses the massive diesel generator to power a custom-built charging station so he can ride 90 miles a day and talk about NOTHING besides range anxiety.

Meanwhile, the film crew is getting "tow-charged" by paying locals to unhitch their semi-truck trailer and towing with the (EPA, CARB certified emissions I'm sure) diesel tractor. For hours at a time. While they worry about "keeping a schedule" or they may have to wait one day for a ferry.

Nice "adventure"

I wanted to like it, I really, really did! I like both Ewan and Charlie, and I feel there is a place for electric bikes someday, somewhere. Not now, and not in Patagonia in the winter.

Don't worry... I get it.

I understand the guys are trying to be 'ahead of the curve', but frankly not sure why? It must the fame of being the 'first people to blah blah'? Because it sure isn't showcasing the power of electrics (pun intended). Big deal. 2 guys riding bikes with an entire infrastructure following them? I could swim across the Atlantic if my support boat would pick me up every hour for a hot shower and a snack.

Even if (when?) electric motorcycles get a gas-like energy density they will ALWAYS be inferior to gas powered ones because:

1) Motorcycles mean freedom. Even with equal ranges, you'd still need the 10 minute re-fill. The swappable battery and supporting infra structure is decades off. There is still no gas stations in many places and we've had gas powered vehicles for 120 years.

2) Off-grid means exactly that. Once you start plopping charging stations in Patagonia, it's no longer "off-grid". Might as well add a convenience store for a hot dog off the roller grill

3) You can carry an extra gallon of gas.

Sorry for the rant. I DO like electrics! There is a big enough market share for busses, trains, commuters, so leave my freedom machines alone Hopefully my nephew likes the Red Barchetta I'm saving for him.

Son, you have to start somewhere. While these seem like hair-brained, half-assed attempts, they are another baby step into pushing progress forward into the inevitable future. Even failures will be learned from, and whether certain things succeed or fail it will push progress forward. The uber rich and their pleasures, just pave the way for these innovations to trickle down to us mere mortals.

I personally find electric motorcycles to be an abomination. I'm see you do as well.

LIke I said "I get it". Heck man, I am the King of taking inappropriate motorcycles to inappropriate places.

I have the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    i must admit though, that i spin out alot
    I got to drive a Kawi 750 triple powered go-cart just like that!!

In less than 10 mins I had broken both my fibula and tibula

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I got to drive a Kawi 750 triple powered go-cart just like that!!

In less than 10 mins I had broken both my fibula and tibula
    Yeah, but did you die?!?

Win ^^^^

Not yet! But it's on my short list of things to never do again so....