Thread: Buell Lowering Kit:

Buell Lowering Kit:

Installed one of these on my 07 XB12STT (it worked out nicely) http://www.whaccessories.com/Lowering-Kits-Buell.htm

Backstory – I'm 71 with a 28-29” inseam. Even though the TT's height, (Buell's second highest) hasn't been an issue in the past and is not much of an issue now, I prefer to be flat footed without a leg stretch.

Purchased Carolina Logger Boots, deeper soles and heals) and a lower Lightning Long Ss seat. Even with the new seat and boots I still had to stretch the legs to be flat footed at stops.

After installing the lowering kit had to increase the shock spring pre-load by two notches, with that the bike handled just as well as it did before. There's still plenty of lean when on the kick stand so there's no need to lower the side stand.

Pretty happy with the results. Easily flat footed at stop signs and red lights.

Well you have me by one year, and I also have a 29" inseam but I haven't felt the need as yet to lower my Ulysses, it does supposedly have the lower seat I can't really tell. It's a good thing to be able to flat foot a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Well you have me by one year, and I also have a 29" inseam but I haven't felt the need as yet to lower my Ulysses, it does supposedly have the lower seat I can't really tell. It's a good thing to be able to flat foot a bike.
    Whatever it takes to keep on riding!

I can’t open the link I have ave the same vertical challenge so if there is a better link. Please post it and I’ll go searching in the interim.

Ok found it. Not a bad option but if you lower the spring perch and then turn up the preload what do you actually gain. A shorter shock and matching preload would give more drop and not be as badly affected with a passenger.

Quote Originally Posted by cvc View Post
    Ok found it. Not a bad option but if you lower the spring perch and then turn up the preload what do you actually gain. A shorter shock and matching preload would give more drop and not be as badly affected with a passenger.
    >>>Not a bad option but if you lower the spring perch and then turn up the preload what do you actually gain<<<.

20mm or about 0.8". You're dropping the whole shock assembly, pre-load doesn't affect the amount gained, 20mm.

Don't know what model Buell you have, can only speak about my experience on the TT. Went for a 346 mile run yesterday and the bike handled great through the Twisty's. I have Ventura Pack Rack/Bags. When I go for long runs in the country I carry a spare belt, homemade jack, air compressor, plug kit, tools, several water bottles and lunch. I found #5 to be the ideal pre-load setting with this load.

My TT came with passenger pegs and not side covers. Generally don't carry passengers but If I decide to give someone a ride, setting the pre-load to 6 or 7 would probably be more than adequate.

Did your TT come with the dual seat or the urban assault (single) seat? Buell had a 2up seat kit listed for the STT (N2000.1ASYBP)

Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-07-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Did your TT come with the dual seat or the urban assault (single) seat? Buell had a 2up seat kit listed for the STT (N2000.1ASYBP)
    My TT was a left over 07 which I purchased in late 08. In order to help sell it the dealer installed Black Plastic, (including the front fender) a lower Lightning Long XB12Ss seat and passenger pegs. There were some minor issues with the bike, (caused by the dealer's nit wit mechanics). When I spoke with Buell to get things resolved, I learned they were also suppose to give me the TT fender, seat and white plastic. When confronted the dealership said, oh we're sorry and gave me everything with no argument.

Originally I mostly used The TT seat but its an inch or two higher than the Ss seat. For the past few years I've been using the Ss seat but will give the TT seat a try and see if I'm still flat footed on it.

It is extending the springs mounting dimension... so you are losing shock travel.

It's lowering pre-load beyond the lowest factory setting, not "lowering the whole assembly". You would need to use a shorter shock, or shorten the mounts overall length on the shock to have that affect. IMO, not enough to matter with a normal weight rider, on a bike as tall as an STT or Uly, but I wouldn't put that part on an Scg or a heavy rider on an S. Glad it worked out for you!

Last edited by Cooter; 10-07-2020 at 04:27 PM.