Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New Buell for me.

I hope you're better at swapping Buell engines than posting pics.

I don’t know why my pic uploads have been doing that lately!

Anyhow, since Cooter was nagging me about never getting anything done....

AC01360E-575B-43E6-82BD-94CD06E5347E.jpeg

And BAM! Took about 35 minutes!

9A43A9C2-EBE7-4682-80F1-DB24B0A6D2B1.jpeg
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-08-2020 at 11:45 PM.

I like the beetlejuice treatment on the case

its-showtime.jpg

So how's the V-twin unicycle project going? You'll be the fastest clown in the ring.

Well, if you had skillz and can do stoppies, you could ride it all over.

I think I found a shop to rebuild the heads, hopefully the turnaround is pretty quick. Once I get that done, the motor should basically fall together.

I’m trying to figure out what to do with the cam cover. I was initially going to have the primary and cam cover powdercoated, but Dan at NRHS cautioned against it due to the heat involved in the process causing the bushings to fall out. And you know my thoughts about cam bushings!

Don’t worry, I’ll keep you posted whether you like it or not.

They'll be fine for 2 reasons.
    1) You are heating the whole piece in the oven, so it all expands at the same rate (including the bushings).
    2) Normal powder paint flows about 350-400* so if your cam bushings do fall out, the press fit is weak and they needed replacing before they spin and ruin the cover anyway

So that means they probably do on your fine example of a museum piece with at least 40k miles on it and a perfect maintenance record.

So... some work was done this weekend. The old motor was stripped of all of its essentials and is getting ready to find a new home in a storage box until I figure out what to do with it.

The new motor now has the pistons/cylinders installed. The heads are being sent out for a "competition valve job". I dropped off some parts at the powdercoater to be sprayed black.

I wound up buying some of the VHT wrinkle paint to spray the primary and cam cover. Either my technique sucks, or I am expecting too much from watching YT videos on it... but I don't recommend the stuff. Sorry, the Beetlejuice look is gone. The wrinkle texture looks okay from 5 feet, but when you get up close, its meh. The amount of wrinkle varies on the part, especially the primary. Its hard to judge, as the wrinkle effect takes awhile to happen and by then its too late. Oh well...

So, this is what we have going into this week.

a.jpg

I need to order new springs for the shifter lever. I am expecting a new wire harness to arrive. Hopefully the heads will get turned around and back on the bike pretty quickly. I'm looking forward to getting the frame back on the bike.

No real progress this weekend. I realized that I dont have an 1-7/8" socket to remove the drive belt pulley, so one is on the way. The closest I had was a 48mm from my VW days (Type 2 rear axle bolt).

I did get the parts back from the powdercoater, so the rear seat rails and taillight housing, along with the shifter and brake lever, and heel guards are black. I will probably get the fork legs, trees, handlebar clamp (and modules) powdercoated black next. This will happen after I get the frame back on the motor to support every thing. I did make sure to remove the powdercoat from the points where the ground wires attach, as well as the points where the seat rails are attached to the frame.

The wire harness was delayed, but should be arriving this week.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-23-2020 at 02:30 PM.

I've got the socket hanging on my peg board...

Quote Originally Posted by thrstrmech View Post
    I've got the socket hanging on my peg board...
    I just got the notification about 5 minutes ago that mine was delivered today.

My harness is still stuck in Tempe at the Fedex facility.

Edit: the harness arrived also.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast