Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: New Buell for me.

34--I got that--and the XR1200 is in the middle. Yes and some of the late XLCH's had the electric start and one year had both.
    Some how I missed the XR1200--seems like a good choice. They are out there from $5-8K.

You told me the Roadster is like carrying a passenger around on the Uly--ha ha.

Other weirdness...

I received my RH scoop last week and wanted to verify that nothing was missing/weird/etc. Good thing I checked. For some reason I couldn't figure out how it was mounted, although I had installed 5 or 6 of these in the past.

2.jpg

How does this mount again?????

1.jpg

WTF? Seriously people!

Also this....

3.jpg

Meth is bad people. Don't do meth.

Common man !

The roach bike looks so much cleaner with a chrome pep boys headlight, you just gotta remove the right side scoop and those ugly tiny tabs no one would ever see!

Quit Methin around, man!
    Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 7.36.04 AM.png

Wow man. The saga continues.

You are bringing a “basket case buell” back to life. Anything I can do to help this project please let me know. Rebuilding a Buell is bucket list.

Some pics from this weekend. I got sidetracked in the process and this is all I have.

The problem. WTF? Don't do drugs people. Just don't. The first step is acknowledging you have a problem.

1.jpg

Looking at the bolt, it looks like a Buell original... but from where?

2.jpg

I don't remember this sleeve being in the original kickstand setup.

4.jpg

Anyways its gone. You need a 1/2 drill bit to open the threaded part up. The trick is slow drill speeds and lots of stops to oil. It goes fast and saves the bit. I wound up putting the kickstand in a vise later on to finish this.

5.jpg
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-02-2020 at 06:24 PM.

Here are some stolen pics I found on here using the search function to show what is next.

The replacement pin, from St. Paul HD. Its about $13 and replacing the stock bolt (that can break) with this pin can save you some $$$ from much more expensive parts (that are much harder to find) when the original bolt breaks and the bike falls over.

pin.JPG

L0174.4A8 & N0425.02A8 Genuine Buell Sidestand Pivot Pin (Kickstand)

This is how the pin fits to the kickstand. On the last couple XB's I did, I had to take some material off the back (red arrow) to get the groove to fit past the edge. I used an angle grinder with a 240 flap wheel to make short work of the mm or so that needed to be shaved off.

sidestand mod.jpg

this pic is from our friend midway with the green Firebolt. I think he owes me a favor anyway.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-02-2020 at 06:27 PM.

Also, I finally removed the swingarm. Regardless of whatever path I go down for an engine, the swingarm needs to come off.

Easy peasy, remove the clips to disconnect the oil lines, remove the rear wheel and belt, then loosen the pinch bolt, and now this. The pinch bolt is accessed from the top (left pointing arrow)

7.jpg

Hmm, I don't have a 7/8" allen key or socket... what to do?

This is the 9/16" grade 8 bolt and nuts I referred to earlier. The threads were cleaned and coated with red locktite, and jammed against each other until they were inline with each other. Looking back, I would have bought a longer 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" bolt, but this did work out well. A long box end 13/16" wrench and the first couple counter clockwise turns were easy.

6.jpg

Then it jammed up, due to corrosion. I sprayed some PB blaster into the gaps, tightened the bolt back up, then sprayed some more in the other end. You will see the swingarm slide from left to right as you do this. I let it sit for about 30 minutes to soak in, then tried again. Eventually it gave up, and came out. Luckily, it spared the bearings and they still rotate easily and smoothly.

My rear pivot bolt had some serious corrosion built up on it and didnt want to come out without a fight.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-02-2020 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike lowary View Post
    You are bringing a “basket case buell” back to life. Anything I can do to help this project please let me know. Rebuilding a Buell is bucket list.
    The main hiccup is waiting to find out from a local shop if they can/will install new wrist pin bushings without me having to split the cases. If this can happen, I will just put my stock 1200 pistons/cylinders on it and have the heads sent out for a "competition valve job".

If I have to split the cases, the insanity begins. You're gonna be on board for this as you already know.

My engine parts should be arriving for my S1 sometime this week, so the XB will have to take a back seat while I put the S1 back together.

When I started the S1 project, I started pulling it apart in the middle of my garage. So, its now in the way for the XB project. Once I get the S1 back together, I can move it off to the side and make a better work area for the XB. Right now, I'm just getting little projects out of way on the XB until the S1 motor parts arrive.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast