Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Buell for me.

New Buell for me.

Hey gang! I just picked up a new to me 2006 XB12Scg.

She’s a total creme puff, but does need a little work. Especially in the joke telling apartment.

Buell -Knock knock!
    34:19 - who’s there?
    Buell -Knock knock!
    34:19 - who’s there?
    Buell -Knock knock!
    34:19 - is that you, Rod?
    Buell -Knock knock!
    34:19 - dammit!
    Buell -Knock knock!

Here are some pics from the previous owner. A really nice guy named Mark. He said he picked it up about 6 months ago with the plan to rescue it back to its former glory, but just didnt have time. From what I understand he has several really nice motorcycles and just wanted to dump this junkyard dog.

lh.jpgrh.jpgft.jpg

Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-19-2020 at 03:40 PM.

I'm pretty good at putting $5000 into a $800 bike to make a $3000 bike

How much did you pay and does it really knock? Last time I got a motorcycle cheep was in the 60's when Triumph's and BSA's were 160.00 to 300.00. 500.00 in mint condition. Times have changed but I'm more glade technology has.

Dark Horse Crank Works. Ask for Andrew.

<sarcasm>I think it’s just spark knock. I read up a lot about it and it’s sounds the most reasonable. The fuel pump is probably bad, with low pressure, causing a lean mixture and making it spark knock. I also read on the Buelltooth site, that a weak mixture can be remedied with a race map. The website says they will give a race tune if I buy a Buelltooth. Are there any programs better than Buell Tooth? I mean, if I put a better muffler on won’t that even things out anyway?

Also, after talking a couple of friends, one knows a guy who’s brother had a Buell S2. He thinks all of the models were recalled with bad fuel pumps. Since it’s a recall, this should be done for free at any Harley dealer. So, I am going to the Harley dealer today to get this done. It’s all bull**** if you ask me. They shouldn’t be defective in the first place. Is there a better fuel pump than stock? Since it’s being covered under warranty, I am going to ask that they put a high performance fuel pump in. Maybe someone has a lead on one?

Also, it’s missing a bunch of parts that I want to replace. My friend above says that all parts were discontinued years ago. That’s also a BS move. How does Erik Buell expect us to ride these bikes if he’s not going to keep making parts?? Does anyone know a good source for Buell parts for cheap?

Here is what I need:
    Left and right headlight casting pieces
    Oil cooler scoop
    Front pulley cover
    Full body plastics kit
    Frame pucks
    Front isolator
    Buell factory race muffler
    And if anyone has a lead on a factory turbo kit, I’d appreciate that too.

Well, I’m diving into this headfirst and need to get the parts prepped and ready for plastic dip. Thanks all!</sarcasm>
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 08-05-2021 at 04:31 PM.

Pure gold

Just kick it over and tie stuff up with shoestrings. 875527.jpg
    Last edited by Cooter; 10-11-2020 at 06:29 PM.

First mod:

x.jpg

Don’t wanna mix things up!

Actually, in all seriousness, it does have a rod knock. 2006’s were kinda notorious for giving up the bottom end prematurely, however I would have thought after 15 years all the bad cranks would have surfaced by now.

The first project was to clean the motorcycle. About an hour at the self serve car wash with a bottle of degreaser and an old toilet brush I bought from the dollar store. I sprayed the living daylights out of it. I even got all the grease out of the wheel bearings! Lol

1.jpg2.jpg

Now I’m taking it apart slowly and bagging/labelling every thing. It will all be cleaned and refinished before reinstalling. I have a line on a new bottom end, and have the top end from my Sportster before converting it to a 1250. The bottom end has about 6000 miles and the top end has about 2500. I just need to get the heads rebuilt to button it up.

This bike has not been maintained well over the years. I dumped the primary fluid and got about 2 quarts (yes 2!) of soupy oil with a gray/brown/greenish light sludge.

More to come!
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-13-2020 at 06:44 PM.

So, more tinkering with the beast reveals it needs a new battery. I have never seen such a dead battery in my life. I think a block of wood holds more current than my battery.

bat.jpg

I figured out the wiring and it now starts and sort of runs. It will run on carb cleaner starting fluid. I’m pretty sure it’s my fuel pump not putting out enough volume and/or pressure. I hate replacing parts as a means of diagnosis, but in this case, it’s probably a faulty pump.

Do I:

Buy a $45 fuel system pressure gauge? And continue the diagnosis? So, the total is $45+$189. Best case scenario, I get the gauge and it verifies the fuel pump is still good. However it’s still a 14 year old pump that really hasn’t been treated well over the years.

Just buy a new fuel pump and call it a “known good part”? $189 for a quality kit from a quality guy. What’s his name again??
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-13-2020 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    So, more tinkering with the beast reveals it needs a new battery. I have never seen such a dead battery in my life. I think a block of wood holds more current than my battery.

I figured out the wiring and it now starts and sort of runs. It will run on carb cleaner starting fluid. I’m pretty sure it’s my fuel pump not putting out enough volume and/or pressure. I hate replacing parts as a means of diagnosis, but in this case, it’s probably a faulty pump.

Do I:

Buy a $45 fuel system pressure gauge? And continue the diagnosis? So, the total is $45+$189. Best case scenario, I get the gauge and it verifies the fuel pump is still good. However it’s still a 14 year old pump that really hasn’t been treated well over the years.

Just buy a new fuel pump and call it a “known good part”? $189 for a quality kit from a quality guy. What’s his name again??
    I can send you a fuel pressure tester. However, 200$ to KNOW your fuel pump is good? The first thing i did to my stock bike after i got it was replace the pump assembly, intake seals, plugs and wires, cleaned grounds. Did it need all that stuff? Probably not. I like piece of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mike lowary View Post
    I like piece of mind.
    I like your style. I dont care what Cooter says.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast