Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New Buell for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    So, more tinkering with the beast reveals it needs a new battery. I have never seen such a dead battery in my life. I think a block of wood holds more current than my battery.

I figured out the wiring and it now starts and sort of runs. It will run on carb cleaner starting fluid. I’m pretty sure it’s my fuel pump not putting out enough volume and/or pressure. I hate replacing parts as a means of diagnosis, but in this case, it’s probably a faulty pump.

Do I:

Buy a $45 fuel system pressure gauge? And continue the diagnosis? So, the total is $45+$189. Best case scenario, I get the gauge and it verifies the fuel pump is still good. However it’s still a 14 year old pump that really hasn’t been treated well over the years.

Just buy a new fuel pump and call it a “known good part”? $189 for a quality kit from a quality guy. What’s his name again??
    This is where I'm at. Finally got around to ordering rocker box gaskets, intake seals, O2 sensor, and have plugs, wires, pcv valves/grommets ready as well. Once I get that all on I'm going to probably just go ahead and order/replace the fuel pump, since I think it's starting to fade. I really wish it would just quit instead of dying a slow death and making me wonder. I'm also curious if it's always been on it's way out ever since I bought it last year, and I could be unleashing a monster...Anyways, once all that is done I think I'll feel man enough to ring up Fabio for the Hellfire exhaust system he claims will give me 140 hp to the wheels on stock tune...
    Last edited by RidetheLightning; 10-12-2020 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RidetheLightning View Post
    Once I get that all on I'm going to probably just go ahead and order/replace the fuel pump, since I think it's starting to fade. I really wish it would just quit instead of dying a slow death and making me wonder.
    I hear you on this. Nothing is worse than a part that still functions, but is fading enough to make the bike still work, yet not throw a code or give any real indication that its performance while adequate is sub par. Ask Cooter, as he found himself chasing various issues and it turned out to be an ECM on the fritz (but still working).

The only real way to verify this is to hook up a fuel pressure gauge and measure volume.

I think I'm in the same boat as well. My pump sounds fine, but the bike will not start without assistance and will only idle for 2-3 seconds before sputtering out.

You KNOW I hate replacing parts unless they can be proven bad... because I'm cheap

Screenshot 2020-10-12 at 7.54.47 PM.png

Even if the FP is ok, maybe the line has holes in it inside the tank, maybe a clogged sock? maybe a clogged filter? It's worth it to put your eyes on all that stuff for free. Check the wires too.

I have a fuel gauge kit I can send you (no hurry on the return), but I also have that correct fuel line fitting I can give you if you pick up a cheap gauge yourself.

That bike fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down
    Last edited by Cooter; 10-13-2020 at 03:19 AM.

I'm thinking maybe you should send it to me. It could be helpful for those who say "but my fuel pump sounds fine" or "the injectors are getting gas". My guess (without looking) is that my pump is either getting weak or the clear flexible line is damaged which is just leaking pressurized gas back to the tank. The pump "sounds" fine.

No rush on this as most of my garage space is being taken up by my S1, which is hanging, waiting for engine parts to arrive. Once I get that back together, I can hang the XB to pull the fuel pump. Hopefully the parts will arrive next week, and I can get it built up the following week.

Ok, I'll do that. Get a comprehensive list of wants and I'll shove it all in a box for ya. Need an OE dash?

I just got my new toy delivered! so I'll pull the pump on mine for a look see today as well.

In case you were wondering how those sweet Sportster pegs were fitted to the XB frame.

peg.jpg

Some may ask where all the wiring is. So did I!

4.jpg

A little digging into whats left of the wire harness revealed this!

wire.jpg

This is mainly whats left of the 15-ish wires that go to the instrument cluster. Whats left of the ignition switch plug, headlights and turn signals is a mess too.

The left side hand controls harness is not salvageable. Its pretty sun weathered and kind of broken too, so I'm just going to find a replacement. The right side one is doing a bit better, but probably should be replaced also. That Cooter guy told me about some (Kawasaki?) switch gear that works well as a replacement. So, I'm curious to see what he has in mind. If not, I'll source a set from eBay.

As I'm discovering, some of these parts are now obsolete through Harley and have been purged from the system or sold to VPI. I've been trying to source most of the missing plastics as they are some are still available new.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-13-2020 at 06:58 PM.

Since the front end is f-ed up and I dont have the (expensive!) modules. I'm at a bit of a crossroads as what to do. Part of me says F-it and do something custom. However, part of me likes the stock front end of the Buell. The flyscreen and dual headlights are signature Buell components... and if I had all the parts, I'd just put it back to stock.

However, I am considering this.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-13-2020 at 07:32 PM.

The headlights ok, but please God don't do the rooster tail.
    2320344-the-black-rooster-on-a-white-background.jpg

pair of modules on ebay for 314 last I looked a couple days ago, another pair for 359 and another for 469, hmmm that headlight alone is like 300 bucks depending where you buy it from. windscreens on ebay range from 55 to 175 depending on color. left hand black module also on ebay for 100 bucks, didn't see a right one...found all these parts by simply searching Buell in the search bar.

Yeah, I found the $100 one already and may just buy it to be halfway there.
    I have a translucent red flyscreen without cracks I will probably sell soon and order a new stock black fairing. Probably should just scoop that up now before they are all gone.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast