Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 XB12R turns over but won't start after sitting several years

2006 XB12R turns over but won't start after sitting several years

Hi all, I appreciate any help you all could provide.

I have a 2006 XB12R that has been sitting in my garage for just over 3 years. After an interstate move, to a neighborhood where motorcycles weren't allowed until just recently. I finally decided to sell it and am unable to get it started.

It was drained of fuel before moving. I added a gallon of fresh fuel.

I put in a new, fully charged battery.

Ignition on and switch to run -- gauges do their start up routine, fuel pump hums like normal.

Crank it, engine turns over, but doesn't catch. Not even a cough.

Removed airbox and filter, unplugged temp sensor.

Checked and cleaned front plug with gumout. Not too bad. Couldn't reach the rear plug (I don't have a plug pliers.)

Spray starting fluid into intake and try to start, it catches and roars to life for a second then dies. No gasoline smell.

Rechecked front spark plug, bone dry.

I am thinking it is something in the fuel system (lines clogged etc.) since the fuel pump clearly has power to it.

Is there something easy I can check that might lead me to the problem? I am fairly handy, with some tools, but no ability to R&R the fuel pump.

If not, does anyone know a reputable place in the West Palm Beach Florida area?

Thanks a lot for any assistance!

(Edit: Apologies, I thought I was posting in the Troubleshooting subforum.)
    Last edited by cpt_hoolie; 10-11-2020 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Additional information

The fuel pump is likely not providing enough pressure to the injectors or the injectors are clogged.

1. Verify the fuel pump is putting out sufficient volume and pressure
    2. Verify the injectors are spraying.

The path between the fuel pump and the fuel rail is only about 12 inches so not much to go wrong there.

I would start with the fuel pump. If it isn’t up to snuff, it doesn’t matter whether the injectors are clogged or working.

The fuel pump isn’t that hard to get to. In fact, I think it’s easier to get to than the injectors.

With all that good info you posted (thank you!), it's pretty easy to diagnose that you have a fuel delivery problem.

Draining the tank can work for extended storage. IMO topping it off and adding stabilizer is better, making sure to run it through the system first because theres still gas left in the fuel lines and injectors. While 3 years is a long time, its pretty far from varnish-total-clogging time.

Do you have access to a program like ECMDroid or ECMSpy to test the injectors without removing them? Either way, you need to take the airbox base plate off too check fuel pressure too.

Removing a fuel pump is easy with basic hand tools, and you'll probably be pulling it. Sure you have power there to make it run, but I'm betting the line inside the tank is compromised and not building pressure? (typical), or the sock is clogged. Both very cheap fixes once the pump is out.

Support the rear of the bike by the pillion peg brackets and to the garage rafters or an a-frame ladder, letting the rear wheel hang, remove the lower shock bolt and the swingarm can drop far enough for MUCH easier fuel pump access. Pull the electrical plug, drain the tank (use tin foil as a funnel to protect the swingarm from the gas), move the 4 bolts and wedge it out with a very sharp flathead screw driver. I bet you find your issue there.

He’s not even that helpful to me. He is a jerk.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-12-2020 at 03:02 PM.

Hoolie, What do mean a neighborhood that motorcycles are not allowed. Never heard of such nonsense--Why would you even move to such a place?

Anyhow, I recently replaced my fuel pump on the '09 Uly. I didn't mess with rebuilding, taking it apart at all--just bit the bullet and bought a new one (spendy).
    As Cooter says, get the bike of the ground in the back, drop the swingarm, and take out the chunk of frame(at least that is how it is on the Uly). It is easy to get to the pump bolts then. Patience and bit of finesse is the key. Take it out and see what you have.
    It was a first for me--if I can do it I am sure you can. And what a difference a new fuel pump makes.

Opto

fail to start

i had somewhat the same issue i just pulled both injectors and did a garage cleaning and backflush after a 2 year parking job pick up this thing for $1400. i also found and replaced before starting the engine a plug wire that had been damaged after someone attempted to change the plugs. i recommend pulling the plugs and open it wide open and look down you will know if is injects fuel its hard to miss. i pulled the injectors with no issues and left them in the fuel rail taped a can of carb cleaner to the fuel supply connection attached some jumpers and pulse fired away till everything looked good.

https://youtu.be/9Y9UIApwcwY Youtube of my bike running and burning two years of washington humidity off the wraps
    Last edited by Webbracing03; 10-12-2020 at 06:15 PM. Reason: added youtube info

Opto makes a good point I always forget to mention to remove the 3 allens that hold the riders left peg to the frame for much better access.

I didn't click the link above, but using a 9v battery to pulse the injectors helps to clean them while under pressure from the carb cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by optomist View Post
    Hoolie, What do mean a neighborhood that motorcycles are not allowed. Never heard of such nonsense--Why would you even move to such a place?
    Lesson learned - when moving to Florida, check the HOA restrictions!! HOAs are nuts around here.

Anyway, thanks all for the help & advice. I don't have the tools or the time to drop the swingarm so I trailered it to a local place that works on V-twins. After 2 weeks there they said it developed a short to ground and was blowing fuses (which it didn't have before ) and they don't have time to figure out where the short is and get it running.

What's the best way to sell a bike like this, as non-running complete? Or sell it for parts?
    Last edited by cpt_hoolie; 11-07-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Parting out a motorcycle for that reason is like burning down your house because a light switch stopped working.

Just put a classified ad on Craigslist that it doesn’t run and accept that you probably won’t get more than $1000 for it if you’re lucky.

Why are you taking it to a “V twin shop”? Especially for a bike that has an electrical problem and nothing to do with the bike being a V twin? Inline 4’s, singles, and parallel twins all can have this same issue. This is an issue anyone who is proficient at 12v electrical system troubleshooting can *diagnose* easily. You don’t need to take it the custom shop that makes “rad custom choppers”. Most of those guys hate working on Buells anyways, and I don’t blame them. This is probably why they “don’t have time to”.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-07-2020 at 03:59 PM.

If you don't have the skill to fix it yourself, you'll take a BIG hit on price without it running.
    Or try another shop, sounds like a hack place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast