Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2020 AMA Champion on the new Buell 1190HCR

Well, if you still have it, I'll offer $1600 ?

Just kidding.
    Last edited by njloco; 10-15-2020 at 02:35 AM.

Tough crowd here, that is for sure. I will probably just keep the EBR and have it for visitors and friends to ride around on.

Meantime "Many are the afflictions of the righteous"

Opto

Not trying to be a tough crowd, but you didnt give us anything to go on.

OK, knowing a price makes it helpful to know if an offer is going to be considerable or insulting. I think $4000 for the RX is extremely generous on your behalf and I do like that you put higher bars on an RX.

As far as your Roadster purchase goes.... as a former Roadster owner... don't do it! The bike is beautiful and I have been told this several times from people looking at my bike "I'm normally don't like Harleys, but thats a really nice bike!"

Here is why I say not to do it.

1. They are very hard to find. Unless you happen to be lucky enough to have one nearby, they are very hard to find.
    2. They are sloooow. Harley guys call them quick. Nope. Your Uly will run circles around it. You can get one to about the power of an XB buy doing a 1250/1275 kit, cams, fuel controller, intake and exhaust. However the bike is about 150 pounds heavier than an XB so, its like carrying a passenger all the time.
    3. Its a Sportster.... the red headed stepchild of the Harley family. But as a Buell owner, you get that. LOL.
    4. The seat is really hard. Mine eventually broke in but I'm 200lbs. Some of the lighter guys hate it.
    5. The speedo can be hard to read in sunlight. It not that big of a deal, unless you see Johnny Law in your rear view and cant tell if youre going 45 or 55. The analog part of the gauge is a tach, not a speedo. And the colors arent changeable like the Harley accessory one.
    6. Range is only about 125 miles per tank. The tank size is 3.3 gal.
    7. The suspension is non adjustable and crappy. Harley guys will comment how good it is, but any one else will think its harsh and flutters between under damped and over damped. The rear shocks are adjustable for spring preload, but that it.
    8. I felt the stock mid controls were cramped and always in the way when i put my feet down. I eventually sprang for the $400 "further forward" controls which i loved, but then the 2-1 pipe selection became severely limited... and the one I had in mind, was a no-go.

Even though I'm ragging on the bike, I did buy one new when they first launched. It is a really nice bike for a Harley and maintenance is a breeze compared to an XB. If you like wrenching on your own bike, you will quickly figure out why Harley mechanics dont like Buells. And yes, I regret selling it.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-15-2020 at 03:25 PM.

Thanks, 34--no problem, my skin is sorta tuff. Appreciate your take on the Roadster.. Very useful--I figured the Uly was more powerful and lively.. Barrett suggested I go with the XR1200--thoughts?

I am just trying to lighten up without getting beat up too bad is all. I thought the XR1200 would work, plus be more in the reliability /parts/service world.

The Uly seems to chug on. The lock bags are useful. Of all the bikes this Uly is the high miler. That meaning ground covered in a day with out me being exhausted. 500 mile days are common and have done more. Comfortable seating/riding position are big factors, the windscreen helps.

On the other hand hanging out in Central OR for days waiting for a rescue truck, and changing out the spendy fuel pump was not my preferred holiday choice. People in Burns are quite friendly and all, plus hardly any masks etc. but...My first ever roadside breakdown far from home (661Miles!). Oh well.

Opto

Quote Originally Posted by optomist View Post
    Thanks, 34--no problem, my skin is sorta tuff. Appreciate your take on the Roadster.. Very useful--I figured the Uly was more powerful and lively.. Barrett suggested I go with the XR1200--thoughts?

I am just trying to lighten up without getting beat up too bad is all. I thought the XR1200 would work, plus be more in the reliability /parts/service world.

The Uly seems to chug on. The lock bags are useful. Of all the bikes this Uly is the high miler. That meaning ground covered in a day with out me being exhausted. 500 mile days are common and have done more. Comfortable seating/riding position are big factors, the windscreen helps.

On the other hand hanging out in Central OR for days waiting for a rescue truck, and changing out the spendy fuel pump was not my preferred holiday choice. People in Burns are quite friendly and all, plus hardly any masks etc. but...My first ever roadside breakdown far from home (661Miles!). Oh well.

Opto

Mechanically, the XR1200 is the superior bike.

The XL1200CX is the prettier one of the two.

Sorry to hear your broken down. But hopefully you can make the most of it. Central Oregon is a nice part of the country. I especially liked Bend.

I wouldn't lose confidence in your ride over just one break down. Your Ulys been pretty solid considering all the long days spent over 100mph

I see many a new car on the side of the road as well, the only difference is I have a hope of fixing my old girl (as long as it's not a coil). Since a competent mechanic is hard to find in your neck of the woods, may I suggest some light reading?
    Buellmods.com

Not to worry, 34--The breakdown in Burns was back in Mid-August. Ancient History now. But there is a new fuel pump in place and I figured out how to install it. Cooter, I am being my own mechanic out here in the boonies.

Even you get stumped

I lied--I just remembered another breakdown far from home, back in '02 or so. Lost a voltage regulator on my VTR in the middle of nowhere--Seiad Valley, CA along #96 on the Klamath River. (Great Ride BTW) The Reg had some hairline cracks ( from when I crashed a few months prior). The cracks in the potting let moisture in and the Reg shorted out internally.

I hung out there for a few hours. A local charged my battery and I went for a swim. I disconnected the headlight and motored back to Medford (just squeaked in as the bike died at the repair shop)--Maybe 100 miles over Siskiyou summit.

I rented a car and went up to Crater Lake while the shop, got the part and fixed the bike.

Divine intervention on that breakdown as I was headed towards some trouble I'm sure.

Opto

Opto

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12