Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XB9S Clutch Cable Replacement - New cable won't thread into the primary case?

XB9S Clutch Cable Replacement - New cable won't thread into the primary case?

Hello! I am replacing the clutch cable on my 2003 Buell XB9S and I've run into a problem when attempting to thread the new cable into the primary case. I know that this is the most delicate part of the entire replacement, and I've checked and rechecked that neither of the threads are stripped, but for some reason they still won't screw in together. If anyone has any advice on this (angles, techniques, need to remove certain parts, ect) I would really appreciate it!

Sorry if this is a very novice question! This is my first time wrenching alone and I'm hoping I'm just missing something very basic rather than colossally ****ing up.

Any other XB9S advice is always appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by maybereda View Post
    Hello! I am replacing the clutch cable on my 2003 Buell XB9S and I've run into a problem when attempting to thread the new cable into the primary case. I know that this is the most delicate part of the entire replacement, and I've checked and rechecked that neither of the threads are stripped, but for some reason they still won't screw in together. If anyone has any advice on this (angles, techniques, need to remove certain parts, ect) I would really appreciate it!

Sorry if this is a very novice question! This is my first time wrenching alone and I'm hoping I'm just missing something very basic rather than colossally ****ing up.

Any other XB9S advice is always appreciated! Thank you in advance!
    Remove the cable from the bike completely and lay flat on the ground in line with the threaded hole in line with the cable from there you should be able to angle the cable upwards toward the hole. You may want place the cable on blocks of wood or something similar to hold the cable closer to the height of the hole.

You may also want to make sure the holes in the primary cover are clean. I'd recommend finding a small bolt the same size and pitch as the hole and threading it in to verify this. I think the spec is 1/4-28, but dont quote me on that. You may want to bring the cable into a hardware store to verify the size.

Yes. The cable must be flat out on the ground to thread into the primary cover. Take your time. Don’t forget the oring. Then carefully route the cable up to the lever in the correct orientation.

DO THIS:
    1-make sure the small factory O-ring is on your new cable. have seen new replacements with the O-ring missing. it is what seals the cable to the primary cover and keeps the lubricating oil inside the cover.
    2-make sure cable is DISCONNECTED from both the lever assembly AND the cable bracket. the cable is at the front top of the engine. on yours it will be a Curly-Q shaped piece of wire. see note below!
    3-put a piece of 2 inch thick block between the ground and the sidestand. places the bike closer to vertical.
    4-hold the threaded cable end up to the primary cover threaded hole and see how far above the ground it is. now get something similar in height like multiple blocks of wood or anything to improvise, as a shelf. sit on ground next to left side of primary cover....place your improvised shelf about 2 feet to the left/front of the primary cover....rest the cable on same....acts as a support for the cable...and start to thread it in till tight. then snug up cable to primary cover. use common sense as the primary cover threads are aluminum and will strip if you get aggressive.

NOTE: TWO THINGS I WOULD DO TO A STOCK 2003 XB TO ADDRESS SUB-STANDARD FACTORY INSTALLED PIECES:
    1-click on my screen name...click on "find latest posts". scroll thru until you find my 2003 BUELL XB SIDESTAND REPAIR thread. was several months ago. it fully addressed how to upgrade your stand with reissued factory repair kit.
    2-replace the Curly-Q clutch cable holder bracket. it was junk. most any dealer can order it in for you. the part number is BUELL----- N0012.1AAA-----i keep them in stock. last i checked dealer list price around $14
    it looks like this:

32514D90-5A41-4B72-9C36-B4A450F82998.jpg

Thank you for your reply! Just to be sure, I need to keep the entire cable horizontally at the same level as the primary cover hole? I'm struggling with keeping it level since it's so long and twists weirdly with every turn. I attempted to screw the old cable back in as well to make sure this wasn't just a new cable problem and the old one wouldn't go back into the hole I just took it out of, so I'll try cleaning the hole as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    DO THIS:
    1-make sure the small factory O-ring is on your new cable. have seen new replacements with the O-ring missing. it is what seals the cable to the primary cover and keeps the lubricating oil inside the cover.
    2-make sure cable is DISCONNECTED from both the lever assembly AND the cable bracket. the cable is at the front top of the engine. on yours it will be a Curly-Q shaped piece of wire. see note below!
    3-put a piece of 2 inch thick block between the ground and the sidestand. places the bike closer to vertical.
    4-hold the threaded cable end up to the primary cover threaded hole and see how far above the ground it is. now get something similar in height like multiple blocks of wood or anything to improvise, as a shelf. sit on ground next to left side of primary cover....place your improvised shelf about 2 feet to the left/front of the primary cover....rest the cable on same....acts as a support for the cable...and start to thread it in till tight. then snug up cable to primary cover. use common sense as the primary cover threads are aluminum and will strip if you get aggressive.

NOTE: TWO THINGS I WOULD DO TO A STOCK 2003 XB TO ADDRESS SUB-STANDARD FACTORY INSTALLED PIECES:
    1-click on my screen name...click on "find latest posts". scroll thru until you find my 2003 BUELL XB SIDESTAND REPAIR thread. was several months ago. it fully addressed how to upgrade your stand with reissued factory repair kit.
    2-replace the Curly-Q clutch cable holder bracket. it was junk. most any dealer can order it in for you. the part number is BUELL----- N0012.1AAA-----i keep them in stock. last i checked dealer list price around $14
    it looks like this:

32514D90-5A41-4B72-9C36-B4A450F82998.jpg
    Thank you so much for your reply!! The step by step break down really helps a newbie like me. I'm hoping that it's just a positioning problem that this will solve and nothing more serious. Thank you for the upgrade suggestions as well! I will definitely be replacing the parts you suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by maybereda View Post
    I'm struggling with keeping it level since it's so long and twists weirdly with every turn.
    Yes, this will be a bit of a struggle, just do your best to keep the threaded part in line with the hole.

I would loose my patience and take the primary cover then install the cable. Oil needs changing anyway

The difference between those two part numbers is just the revision #. From what I can find on Twin motorcycles and St. Paul lookup, you do have the correct part #.

https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buel...ing-models-u6a

https://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/websh...sp?mc=1&aid=59

It looks like you found the correct size/pitch for the threaded portion... I still recommend getting a bolt that size and threading it into the hole. It may just have the first thread or two buggered up from removal. Or Cooter worked on your bike. If you can thread the bolt in easily, the threaded portion should thread in easily as well.

Lastly, download a free manual from Buellmods.com. You did remove the 3 bolt inspection cover and clutch ramp assembly beforehand, right?
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-14-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    what is loose patience?
    and take the primary cover to where or whom?

this boy is a novice and trying his best to complete a relatively simple task. try sobering up then offering something constructive.
    This exchange made me laugh! I think the problem I'm running into is that I was instructed to order cable #38613-03c when in fact my specific year and model (2003 XB9s) needs #38613-03A. #03c is just a hair too big for the hole in my primary case, but according to other forums, I can apparently buy a 5/16-24 nut that will thread into both and hopefully solve my problem. Thank you all for taking this seriously and crafting such helpful replies! An unimportant side note, I'm actually a girl trying her best to complete what should be a VERY simple task haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast