Thread: Project advice

Project advice

I recently became a first time Buell owner, a '06 Blast and I am officially converted. Ive been spending hours on this site (and others) reading; I certainly have alot to learn for sure. All I know for sure right now is that I want to mod this bike and create a sick ride! I favor street fighters, some cafe racers...hell I know it when I see it. Ezblast posted a pic of his ride in 2015, pretty tight indeed. Some day Ill show yall my vision... I guess what I need is direction and advice really from those who have gone before me. I mean logistically where do I start? Builds occur incrementally (unless youre very wealthy and Im not) so how do I prioritize my to-do list? My bike has after market parts the previous owner(s) installed and sat unmaintained for about 1 1/2 years. Obviously I need to sort out basic issues...but, as I said, Im no expert so is there formula or standardized list of maintenance/service which I should follow? The exhaust and muffler (Vance&Hines) were done as was the air intake. I have no idea if the mods were done correctly and/or in the right sequence... For instance when I removed the carb for cleaning I noticed the idle speed adjustment had been drilled out but the jets and needle appeared to be stock, nor was it shimmed. The carb needs refurbishing/upgrading...but this is what Im uncertain about in a nutshell: wtf do I do first?! Id like to hear some practical, common sense advice from knowledgeable people who have experience and are willing to share. Thank you all for responding, I look forward to reading them.

Actually, a build starts with an idea. Then you formulate a plan. Building it all willy-nilly and changing your mind as the wind blows is a waste of money due to missteps, mind changing, etc. Some pro builders can do it on the fly, but they are the exception.

What is the plan? Daily driver? Show bike? Cafe bike? XB clone?

For me, the first course of action is to clean the bike. Ideally, put the bike on a trailer and roll down to your local self serve car wash with a bottle of degreaser and a brush (I used a cheap toilet brush from a dollar store). For degreaser, I like to use Zep heavy duty citrus degreaser, but will also use Zep Fast 505 on really greasy parts (but this can be a little too aggressive).

Secondly, make it run reliably. That way when you get done with the mods, and it wont start/run/idle whatever, you'll know that it did run before you tear it down and what to expect.

Then stop and make a plan. The problem with doing a inexpensive bike like a Blast is that is it easy to go over budget way too easily, and have a bike that is only worth a fraction of what you have into it.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-16-2020 at 03:22 PM.

Exactly this ^^^^^

If this is all new for you it will be important to not bite off more than you can chew. Anyone can disassemble something, how many garages have a stripped motorcycle in the corner?

Start will small jobs you can finish in a day, maybe take something off to polish or paint it? and put it back on. It doesn't need to be perfect, you can take it back off again, but it does need to be back together and ridable for the first few forays into motorcycle Kustom Kulture.

This will probably sound like a buzzkill, but your best bet is to actually just ride it around for awhile. You may realize in 3-6-9+ months, you dont even like the bike any more... or you want something different.

Or look for someone else's half finished project that they just want gone before their wife divorces them.

jetlee stops by from time to time to say hi and is a huge source of information on Blasts and other Buell/HD info. I think he hangs out mostly on the 'book or here:

https://buellridersonline.com/forum/

and whatever you do, do not let Cooter come over to "drink beer and work on the bike". That will just guarantee you will have no beer when leaves. He is a jerk.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-16-2020 at 10:42 PM.

Drink beer then work on a bike

I like what Cooter and 34:19 had to say (especially the "ride it around as-is for a while" bit and "start with small projects" bit). I'll add this:

Download the service manual (buellmods.com)

Then, give the bike a once-over maintenance. These projects are quick, easy, and cheap and will get you acquainted with the bike:
    - Change engine & primary oil
    - Check and adjust clutch cable and primary chain tensioner
    - Flush & bleed brakes

After that, I'd look at the tires (odds are you've got the stock Dunlops that have been on there from 2006) and address the carb tomfoolery (if it's affecting the ride-ability of the bike).

Beyond that, it's up to you. Have fun with your Blast! I know that mine brings a stupid smile to my face any time I swing a leg over it!

Set the bike up for your riding weight also.

Quote Originally Posted by outthere View Post
    Set the bike up for your riding weight also.
    I dont think you can, at least not easily without replacing springs and fork oil. I'm pretty sure the Blast has non-adjustable suspension. Jetlee can set the record straight.

I don't have anything to add to what Cooter and 3419 have said.

I do appreciate the kind words.

I will answer questions and help with anything I can, even EFI conversion (not cheap nor easy). However if someone tells you to not do something, especially for safety reasons, and you do it anyway...I'm gone like the wind, I refuse to help those that ignore well-intentioned advice.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    I dont think you can, at least not easily without replacing springs and fork oil. I'm pretty sure the Blast has non-adjustable suspension. Jetlee can set the record straight.
    It's not adjustable in the typical sense, but it is incredibly easy to service the forks to add a Gold Valve Emulator and stiffer springs, or even just add a PVC shim for some preload on the stock springs. You can do all that without even loosening the triples (just make sure front wheel is off the ground). To change oil you either need to disassemble the front end, or use a syphon to get the old oil out.

The rear, you can really only add a spacer to preload it. Otherwise it's a replacement which there isn't a direct swap available without other modifications.
    Last edited by jetlee; 10-19-2020 at 07:28 PM.

I usually sit back an look at my Buells and see whats eating me most about how they look or function. I usually let that process in the back of my mind until I find a solution. You do that enough and you've changed the whole bike. Sometimes it helps to look at other bikes Buells or not to see what those folks have done.