Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STATOR UPDATE on FRANKENSTEIN BUELL from FOLSOM HD.

STATOR UPDATE on FRANKENSTEIN BUELL from FOLSOM HD.

Just thought I would take some time out from all the sunny weather I have been abusing my BUELL to over the last week and tell and show my update info for a NEW STATOR I have installed. Let me start out by thanking COOTER for MY decision to go with the OEM stator which was available through HARLEY DAVIDSON-local which had to order from back east which took a while. Little over 2 weeks. First thing I did after temporarily mounting and holding unit in place with the old screws then put the ROTOR-SPROCKET on and boulted engine sprocket nut on to 120 FT LB"S just to rotate engine several times and check that all rotated freely with no clearance problems first. Removed ROTOR and checked STATOR for anything rubbing. All was good so removed old screws for stator and used new mounting screws to torque specs. Reinstalled ROTOR-PRIMARY CHAIN-CLUTCH HUB and torqued to OEM specs plus Locktite on Clutch Hub nut only. I also took the advice to install a LED volt display inside the trouble-warning light part of the Dash. I even bought one to put in my 08 ULTRA it was so cool. One more mechanical note-I used LUCUS 75-120 FULL SYNTHETIC gear oil in the primary which is what I was running before all so check out the standoffs I put on the Regulator mounting screws and used 10-24 Screws and lock washers to hold the regulator which now I can grab with my bare hand right after I'm done ridding it is that cool temp wise. A few pictures to take the boring out of the book I just wrote---

I almost for got to mention that I am getting 14.5 volts at average RIDING speed and display shows 13.1 when I first turn the key on.20201022_192037.jpg2.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

One more mechanical note-I used LUCUS 75-120 FULL SYNTHETIC gear oil in the primary which is what I was running before

historically, there have been several reports of compatibility issues between this and H-D OEM stators. and if it contains "limited slip clutch additive" it is not to be used with motorcycle wet-clutch applications.

20201024_103452.jpg1602735207814.jpg

I see what you are saying yet on there product it says for Harley V Twins gear oil which I wouldn't think they would NOT make and sell a product that would be non compatible but maybe not as good as other brands. It just say's or states on the container ( PG-2 LIMITED SLIP.) so would that be what you were referring to it also say MEETS or EXCEEDS major manufactures specifications. Also would I be wrong in saying that this oil product made my stator go bad?
    Last edited by MOTORCYCLES247; 10-24-2020 at 03:41 PM.

It may "MEET OR EXCEED" blah blah but the APPLICATION is wrong.

75w-120 is CRAZY THICK to put in a BUELL primary (which is NOT a HARLEY V-TWIN BTW) and IMO combined with COLD weather riding could be CATASTROPHIC to your BIKE.

IMO, use the BUELL FACTORY recommended PRIMARY fluid (Formula +) for a primary filled with factory parts. No amount of overthinking by the consumer is better than the engineers that made the bike.

The EXCEPTION to that RULE would be to use the recommended FLUID for whatever your CLUTCH MFG recommends (i.e. Alto clutches recommend Dexron ATF for their clutches). My experience with a BARNETT CLUTCH and my BAD CHOICE to put 20w-50 synthetic in the PRIMARY gave me sticky, unpredictable clutch ENGAGEMENT that was TOTALL SOLVED by using their RECOMENDATION. FORMULA +.

YMMV.

Just wanted to say I used what I did only because it was in the 90's here till Friday and then all the 100 days a month ago. I know Buell Owner's Manual says "HARLEY DAVIDSON SPORT-TRANS FLUID
    Part Number 98854-96 which is like 20-50w so when it is cooler weather I will change it. Also It took me a while to trust the new trans I upgraded to which is working perfect. Thanks to my fellow Bueller's for all your help when it is needed.

Cooter, you didn’t seriously put 20-50 synthetic in your primary with your new clutch did you?

And I thought I was the only one who made the bad choices. Lol

Just when I think we’re running out of material to heckle you about, you throw us another freebie. Awesome!
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-26-2020 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTORCYCLES247 View Post
    "HARLEY DAVIDSON SPORT-TRANS FLUID
    Part Number 98854-96 which is like 20-50w
    No. It's not. Read my post again. Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Cooter, you didn’t seriously put 20-50 synthetic in your primary
    It was 'recommended on a forum'

They said "It's just like Formula +"
    I could have saved time, money, and frustration by trusting what the engineers who designed the bike put in the service manual for me to read instead of trusting some guy on the internets idea of whats 'better'

I learned my lesson.

Did your frictions "recover" from the synthetic? I'd imagine you soaked them in it before installation. Or did you have to spring for new ones?

On my Energy One clutch kit, they were very clear about not using a synthetic. Since I like the Formula +, I did some deep digging to insure that it wasnt a synthetic.

I'm kinda bummed because I dont have a good heckle for this.

I'm sure you'll think of one

The clutch was fine and recovered immediately after swapping to the recommended fluid. Not grabby anymore at all, nice smooth stop light acceleration from then on.

I just realized I had told everyone I had used" NOT LUCAS 75-120 w but LUCAS 75-90w instead in the Primary. I have officially 2,750 miles on the Engine sense the case-transmission swap and the stator replacement just recently with absolutely NO troubles-leaks or shifting bugs of any kind. It is still in the 80's plus here so I will continue to be the test dummy for now an I will change the Lubricant soon. I have taken the Buell many times to the factory rev limiter going through the gears an just love how it has been working. Not trying to go against the grain here but I will say something stupid like the wrong oil is better than no oil. I do agree that Engineer's stating what is what should come first.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast