Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Broken wire at the steering head.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Like when 34:19 waves at you from across the ferry.
    Dammit, I told you not to share that picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    First time uploading images here, not sure why they are rotating?

Attachment 14771Attachment 14772Attachment 14773Attachment 14774

Redone the headlight harness last night. Driving home from work yesterday and the low beam wires wire melted together and shorted blowing a fuse. The only 2 connectors I did not re-do, so of course they would fail. This bike has the headlight mod so the orange and yellow are swapped further up in the harness.

Here is the modified harness bracket at the steering head with the 1 inch pvc pipe strap that has been trimmed and heated to angle back slightly to clear the fork leg. that is an original bracket with the front middle cut out and straightened so the bundle can move left and right. There is 3 bundles under the bracket, the smaller bundle is 3 Ground Wires connected to the battery tray replacing the Ring terminals at the steering head. The big bundle is split into 2 forward of the bracket.

Wow it still looks pretty rat nesty under the fly screen, but here is a before pic after all the electrical tape is removed. I did not use any electrical tape, used black fusion tape which has no sticky glue if you need to have a redo just used an exacto knive to remove.
    Actually, it looks pretty organized. Sometimes you can't avoid the full mess.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Dammit, I told you not to share that picture.
    I made sure to spell "ferry" correctly.

So far this is working very well. I did have to remount the horn, it sounded really weak being mounted directly to the headlight bracket. So I happened to have in my scrap pile some threaded nylon dowels 5/16 or 8mm that fit over the horn stud. Also drilled out the mounting hole in the bracket to 5/16, believe it was 1/4 to start with? Dremel' d off a knurl or 2 of the dowel to put on the stud and bolted it down with some Loctite. Now it has the full road runner meeepp meeepp sound. If you do this I recommend rewelding the headlight bracket to reinforce it, because it will crack. Mine is painted black because it had been rewelded in 3 places.
    nylon dowel.jpg

Last edited by Tbone; 01-06-2021 at 12:26 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234