Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting advice: Rough running XB

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    If you are going to attack the ECM as the culprit, may I suggest the FREE download of ECMDroid (GooglePlay store). It uses a wireless bluetooth connection to your android device so its way easy (no driver BS). It is also a very simple program to use for diagnosis, datalogging, and swapping Fuel maps.

I use the bluetooth dongle I got from Buelltooth.com (now rev-mo.com) and I like it.
    Okay, perhaps I'll just bite the bullet and snag one. Just out of curiosity, you wouldn't happen to know of any other desktop applications I could try in the meantime, would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buell Man View Post
    UPDATE:

So, in my big old box of spare parts I found the USB cable needed to interface with my ECU! The problem, is that upon booting ECMSpy I get an prompt asking if I have a host FTDI drivers installed. I apparently didn't, so I downloaded the appropriate drivers (For XP) and just don't know how to install them. Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks!
    I had a hell of a time getting the drivers installed on my current laptop. I ended up downloading and installing basically every possible driver i could find until it worked! If i remember right this https://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm is where i got the download.

they do have install guides too https://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Doc...FT_000093).pdf
    Last edited by BuellyBagger; 11-04-2020 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    I had a hell of a time getting the drivers installed on my current laptop. I ended up downloading and installing basically every possible driver i could find until it worked! If i remember right this https://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm is where i got the download.

they do have install guides too https://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Doc...FT_000093).pdf
    Word, I did the same thing. But no luck as of yet, I'm still getting the installation prompt...even after virtualizing a copy of Windows 7 and getting the executable version of the driver installer. What a pain!

Thanks for your reply, man.

UPDATE:

Was able to access my ECU with ECMspy today, and found two historical trouble codes stored which were for the throttle being stuck open and closed. No other codes listed at present, which is pretty cool.

Seafoam also didn't work. Still experiencing some pretty bad lean surging, and my fuel pump is loudly whining. After asking around, running tests, and doing some more research, the consensus is that my pump is bad. I will buy a replacement. Theoretically, that should be all it takes to breathe life back into my Uly. Keep those fingers crossed!

Items left to accomplish before riding are now:

1. Buy a new pump.
    2. Install the pump.
    3. Change my brake fluid.
    4. Change my primary oil.
    5. Do a TPS reset.
    6.???
    7. Profit

I don't want to ruffle any long held beliefs, but FYI.

Check every bit of that pump assembly, wire chafing can be an issue, as well as the sock or filter just being clogged, or the fuel hose with pinhole leaks. A lot more than just swapping the pump motor. PM Barrett on here for quality re-build kits or complete assemblies

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buell Man View Post
    5. Do a TPS reset.
    6.???
    7. Profit
    s02e17_720.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I don't want to ruffle any long held beliefs, but FYI.

Check every bit of that pump assembly, wire chafing can be an issue, as well as the sock or filter just being clogged, or the fuel hose with pinhole leaks. A lot more than just swapping the pump motor. PM Barrett on here for quality re-build kits or complete assemblies
    Here here, Fort-Nine speaks and I will listen! K100 next time for sure (if anything), oxidation is no bueno...

I've already reached out to Mr.Barrett, who's a solid guy. I'm looking to get a rebuild kit as early as next week! I'll also make sure to inspect the wiring, filters, and hoses when I pull it apart. It'd be nice if some of the components are salvageable, I wouldn't mind having some extra parts on hand just in case.

I watched that f9 video awhile back, love his stuff. I actually use "marine" stabil in everything, supposed to be even better at rooting out moisture and preventing damage from ethanol. I'm pretty sure it's just slightly more concentrated stabil, but I've had good luck just the same.

You could add cleaning your throttle body to your list. I always try and do my best to wipe it out really well on every bike I buy and then set the tps. Getting rid of any gummy crud in there tends to prevent a faulty TPS reset.

Hey gang,

My fuel pump rebuild kit arrives here tomorrow! In anticipation for the job I'm wondering if any can provide some advice on how I could MacGyver a way to get my bike up in the air enough to drop the swing arm down to access the fuel pump. I don't have a jack stand or anything similar. I have straps...and odd bits of 2x4s...

Any thoughts?

You could find a tall A-frame ladder and straddle it over the bike. Use that to lift up the tail.
    Same idea if you have sturdy rafters in the garage, else a balcony.

Or you can also lift the bike up from the muffler, but gotta make sure it's well braced so it doesn't tip over.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast