Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: XB9 - Rotated Engine Now Doesn't Idle/Run??

Resolution!! It runs and rides!!

So praise God - super simple fix causing a major issue. Remember the “loose rocker arm” I mentioned when putting it back and thinking it was a lifter needing pumped back up? Well...I missed the lifter when I took the pushrod out to inspect it.

Yep - so dumb and so thankful my friend could stop by and see what I was missing and if the lifter was bad or just not pumping up. Once we took the rocker box off he picked up the intake pushrod and set it back down on the lifter....

Yes - I thought the lifter top was wide enough to just put it in the hole and didn’t realize it actually had to seat in a cup. He had me feel it connect/rest/sit in the cup and visibly see the immediate height difference.

Cleaned everything up and once the rocker box was torqued down I felt instantly better when there was ZERO play. Got it back to tougher partially and started took a second then ran/idled fine.

Got it completely buttoned up and changed and went on a 20 minute ride and feel/sounds fantastic - so relieved.

Feel bad/guilty because you guys are great, honestly and my friend who had an XB12 and has a HD instantly new the rocker arm had WAY too much play and it wasn’t a bled down lifter at that gap size. This is my fault, guys. Sorry, but thank you SO much - what a great community this is and feel super grateful for the help and hey - got new intake seals, better grounds, and another set of new plugs and PLENTY of engine rotations later I’ve gotten (fortunately or not) pretty familiar with the bike.

Have pictures below of the “before” with the pushrod not fully seated. I tried using feeler gauges only to find out the gap was bigger than the ENTIRE set LOL - Ugh - so sorry guys. Thanks again for everything.

If you’re ever in Chicagoland PM me and I owe you lunch (or several lol)

Lunch, I hope your talking about the liquid sudsy type, that's the only kind of lunch Cooter understands.

Glad you got it back together and running well.

Super happy you got it figured out!

Just in time for winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Super happy you got it figured out!

Just in time for winter.
    Thanks, man - really appreciate the urgency and support - meant a lot to help me get me back on it.

Actually - when I started this project it was getting cool and so I thought it was a great time to start then the weather has been all over the place. It was 72 yesterday and supposed to be the same today/tomorrow. Totally unexpected considering it has snowed nearly every Halloween week since moving here in 2017.

I feel like I’m stealing by getting to ride here in November so just enjoying these unexpected one-off days while we have them!

Glad you got it sorted out! I don't think any apologies needed. The more that people post, the more we can learn from.

I've never taken apart my engine down to that level, so it's good to understand all the nuances.

Weather in NorCal has been pretty good too. Got to take my Duke 790 to Thunderhill Raceway for the season closer just yesterday.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234