Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 XB12Ss fuel pump - need help.

I appreciate all the advice.
    I have an A-frame ladder somewhere, LOL about the bike tail being lighter than most Americans (hey, I'm working on it!).

Here in Omaha we're about to head into the really cold season - I had to go to a funeral so I couldn't work on the bike this week. Hopefully I can work on it this winter sometime.

Does anyone have a "best practice" for draining the fuel tank?

I can drain a bit just by disconnecting the fuel hose from the injector housing, but it's slow and potentially messy.

Quote Originally Posted by keithd View Post
    Does anyone have a "best practice" for draining the fuel tank?

I can drain a bit just by disconnecting the fuel hose from the injector housing, but it's slow and potentially messy.
    Use the drain plug?

Get a service manual and read it. This is covered in depth on page 4-22 / Step 2 -

2. Remove drain plug (4) and drain fuel into appropriate container. Discard plug.

If you refuse to do that, go to youtube and look up the video where someone has done this procedure before. I would hate to see how you drain a bathtub.

Never mind this. Just take it to a mechanic.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-10-2020 at 04:02 PM.

Why the hostility? I didn't refuse to do it, I just didn't know about the drain plug.

And don't worry, I can drain a bathtub just fine.

No hostility. Just pointing out the obvious. It apparent that you are diving into a process that you have no knowledge of and have no desire to read the service manual first. The fact that you were trying to go through all the steps to get to the injectors and disconnect the fuel line, vs unscrewing one bolt points out this out.

The service manual is available as a free download, and there is a section specifically called "draining the fuel tank" and it is step #2 on page 4-22.

You can also try tipping the motorcycle upside down as well. Make sure to remove the fuel cap first.

Pro tip: the service manual is full of "best practices" and is available as a free download. It does have one fatal flaw that tends to mess up a bunch of people though.

You can also use something like this. There are different versions, but they basically all do the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Fuel-T...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I didn't go through all the steps just to disconnect the fuel injector fuel line, I had disconnected that line when troubleshooting the fuel pump previously. You seem to draw negative conclusions about folks without knowing the whole situation.

I had a brain fart/senior moment where something obvious to you wasn't to me at the moment. Sure, I'll be sure to check the service manual and yeah, I probably should have looked there first, but damn I thought this was a friendlier community.

Which part are you referring to about being obvious?

The fuel tank having a drain plug? Not all do.
    or
    Reading the instructions before starting a process one is unfamiliar with?

There are parts on cars and motorcycles that must be disassembled in a certain sequence to prevent damage to the part or injury to yourself.

You seem to draw negative conclusions about folks without knowing the whole situation.
    You mean like negatively assuming the way to drain the fuel tank is the slow and messy way via the fuel line, instead of reading the service manual and knowing the whole situation?
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-10-2020 at 05:01 PM.

but damn I thought this was a friendlier community.
    How much friendlier and helpful do you need?

I downloaded a service manual for you.
    I looked up the procedure for draining the fuel tank for you.
    I posted the page number and step of the process on the forum for you.
    I posted the actual procedure from the service manual for you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast