Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2009 XB12Ss fuel pump - need help.

The part about the tank having a drain plug. I just had a moment when the bike was opened apart and determined the issue was with the fuel pump, I just got stuck wondering how to get the fuel out. I had the injector line disconnected already and I thought, "This is a bad way to drain the tank".

I mean, you're right, should have read the service manual. I relied on experience/instinct, and while it's served me well most of the time, I was blinded to an easy solution.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    How much friendlier and helpful do you need?

I downloaded a service manual for you.
    I looked up the procedure for draining the fuel tank for you.
    I posted the page number and step of the process on the forum for you.
    I posted the actual procedure from the service manual for you.
    And I thank you for that. I suppose I took your other comments as a personal insult, which I shouldn't have done. Sorry about that.

Here is a tip not in the service book. Get an old quart motor oil container and cut the side out near the bottom to use as a funnel. Dry fit it a couple of times before you loosen the plug so you can move it quickly and easily into place before you pull the plug. I elevated my catch pan by putting it on top of some blocks of wood to minimize splashing.

There is a video on youtube where they show this process so you can get an idea of how to cut the oil container.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-10-2020 at 05:18 PM.

I just started watching a video on youtube where the guy goes through replacing the fuel pump. Now that I've seen it, wow it's obvious.
    And that motor oil container trick seems like it would work way better, too.

Another tip is to get new fuel housing pump orings before pulling the pump. Even if the old ones are in good shape, they tend to get loose when you pull the pump. They also tend to shrink when they dry out, but that can take awhile. It can be a bear to keep the orings on the pump body when reinstalling if they are loose fitting and you will likely tear one or it will not want to seat correctly.

Either way, I'm sure once you have the pump out, you will want to fix it and button it back up ASAP, so I recommend having them on hand to just swap out.

https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buel...-/-air-cleaner

It probably is a good idea to replace the orings on the fuel line, but if your existing ones still look ok, you'll probably be fine. And they are pretty easy to access and replace if you do have a leaker.

Also, there is a fuel filter in the earlier pump assemblies that is just a simple inline filter. You should be able to source one at a local auto parts store. If you have a leaky hose like I did, you will need "submersible fuel hose". I think its 5/16" and really only available at a NAPA and its not cheap.

You may want to reach out to forum member "Barrett" aka Action Pants for one of his fuel pump kits. Sourcing the CORRECT parts locally can be a huge pain, and Barrett offers a kit with quality parts. He's also a great guy and more knowledgeable than all of us combined.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-10-2020 at 06:17 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123