Thread: Buell Blast: Need some OE Carb mount parts

Buell Blast: Need some OE Carb mount parts

Working on this bike for my son. It's an '02 Blast and I'm finding it was pretty badly negleced by it's prior owner. I just dumbed the gas tank to rid all the water in the bottom. Pulled the carb and not only found 2 of the 4 bowl screws 'stripped', but one was actually missing. Anyway, there's a front mounting piece that's made of plastic and supports the front of the carb with the 3 screws. This piece is molded in such a way that it's rather like a small, plastic velocity stack. The one on this bike is cracked and deformed. I'm hoping someone might have one that might have been removed when going to some kind of 'custom' intake. If anyone has any ideas on this, please let me know. While I'm guessing it's not overly critical, I'm also of the belief that doing without it or substituting something different might actually affect the tuning to the degree that re-jetting or needle adjustment might be necessary. And, as that might actually result in an overall reduction in performance, I'd like to try to find the original piece in decent shape if at all possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

While I'm at it, I might as well add two other parts I'm missing: The first is the little 'nipple' assembly that the fuel tank breather hose attaches to on the top of the gas tank. Mine's missing. The other would be the two rubber tank mounts that support the front top of the gas tank. I'm guessing that in the absense of OE pieces for that I can use some rubber hose or maybe even some foam product. I'm thinking something 'odd' like a golf club grip, or even the handle of a fishing pole. Just something that will slide over the two retaining rods on either side of the frame up by the neck at the top.....under the 'shrowd'.

The good news here is that the engine cranked over today and with a squirt of starting fluid it momentarily roared to life! Progress!!!

Thanks for any help!

Tom D.

Quote Originally Posted by Wharfcreek View Post
    Working on this bike for my son. It's an '02 Blast and I'm finding it was pretty badly negleced by it's prior owner. I just dumbed the gas tank to rid all the water in the bottom. Pulled the carb and not only found 2 of the 4 bowl screws 'stripped', but one was actually missing. Anyway, there's a front mounting piece that's made of plastic and supports the front of the carb with the 3 screws. This piece is molded in such a way that it's rather like a small, plastic velocity stack. The one on this bike is cracked and deformed. I'm hoping someone might have one that might have been removed when going to some kind of 'custom' intake. If anyone has any ideas on this, please let me know. While I'm guessing it's not overly critical, I'm also of the belief that doing without it or substituting something different might actually affect the tuning to the degree that re-jetting or needle adjustment might be necessary. And, as that might actually result in an overall reduction in performance, I'd like to try to find the original piece in decent shape if at all possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

While I'm at it, I might as well add two other parts I'm missing: The first is the little 'nipple' assembly that the fuel tank breather hose attaches to on the top of the gas tank. Mine's missing. The other would be the two rubber tank mounts that support the front top of the gas tank. I'm guessing that in the absense of OE pieces for that I can use some rubber hose or maybe even some foam product. I'm thinking something 'odd' like a golf club grip, or even the handle of a fishing pole. Just something that will slide over the two retaining rods on either side of the frame up by the neck at the top.....under the 'shrowd'.

The good news here is that the engine cranked over today and with a squirt of starting fluid it momentarily roared to life! Progress!!!

Thanks for any help!

Tom D.
    There are a BUNCH of Blast parts on eBay from parted out bikes. I bought my fuel filler stuff on there. Also check St Paul as some of that stuff is inexpensive.

Well, I've looked all over ebay, as well as Facebook Market Place and even Craigslist. I've even just 'googled' the part......and I can't find one. According to the Service Manual the part is called a 'Venturi Ring'. So, this is what I'm looking for, but having no luck finding. I'm not familiar with 'St Paul'. Is that a person here on the Forum? If so, let me know and I'll try to find him.

Thanks! Tom D.

Hi Tom,

34:19 is referring to one of the go-to Buell parts sanctuaries: St. Paul Harley-Davidson/Buell (https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buell.myshopify.com/). (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post external links here, so if you Google "St. Paul Harley-Davidson/Buell" and navigate to the "Parts" tab on their main Harley-centric site; you should see a "Buy Buell Parts" option underneath. That'll get you where you need to go.)

I'm assuming you need the "Rollover Vent Valve Top" (P/N P0114.8B) for your fuel tank. They've got that part in stock for $12.00. I'm also going to assume that you'll need the vent valve itself (P/N 0107.8C) if the top of the valve is missing. They've got that part in-stock as well for $23.00.

I think you're on the right track with the gas tank supports. I'd venture a guess that McMaster has rubber hose of the correct dimensions for DIY tank supports.

Beyond that, I can't help much more. BuellRidersOnline is another great forum for Blast information. I hear the Blast guru himself resides there...