Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to rotate the engine, anything else I should do?

About to rotate the engine, anything else I should do?

I have an 06 with 33k miles on it. She has a broken exhaust stud on the rear cylinder and I need to rotate the engine to fix it.
    I'm putting in new grade 8 stainless studs (w/ anti-seize) and new header gaskets.
    Otherwise, she's a good running bike. No oil leaks or anything. For the last several years, it's been owned by a buddy who rode it semi-regularly, so it's never sat for long periods.

Are there any general maintenance items that I should tackle while I have got everything apart?

I'm about to do this as well for the rocker box gaskets, and I'm replacing the intake seals, as I've heard those are very difficult to reach without the engine rotated, and they're only 5 bucks apiece. It was also recommended to me to replace the O2 sensor, which was around 40 bucks, but recommended by Barrett on here, whose word I take as gospel. He made the good point that they have finite lifespans so you might as well. Other than that just plugs and wires since I haven't done them since buying it a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RidetheLightning View Post
    I'm about to do this as well for the rocker box gaskets, and I'm replacing the intake seals, as I've heard those are very difficult to reach without the engine rotated, and they're only 5 bucks apiece. It was also recommended to me to replace the O2 sensor, which was around 40 bucks, but recommended by Barrett on here, whose word I take as gospel. He made the good point that they have finite lifespans so you might as well. Other than that just plugs and wires since I haven't done them since buying it a year ago.
    This ^^^^^

Alright. Found the bosch O2 sensor is #12014 and is less than $20. I'll replace the intake seals and the plugs/wires while I have it all apart.

Thanks for the help.

Given the amount of work one has to do to rotate the motor and access the O2 sensor, I’d recommend buying the factory piece. If it was easy to access, I really wouldn’t worry about it, but it would be a shame if you had to rotate the motor and replace it again due to questionable quality. It may say “Bosch” but an O2 sensor for less than $20 doesn’t exactly say “install and forget”... especially if you’re chasing driveability problems afterwards.

Cooter- for reference - $20 is a case of beer.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-09-2020 at 09:21 PM.

Don’t know why this message was lost, but you may want to replace the pcv valve grommets as well.

$20 is a 4-pack you dirty Pleb! You won't find any Rocky Mountain piss water in MY fridge.

And yes to all of that techno-babble. O2 sensor, PCV grommets, intake seals, and the fan if it's greasy. You could get all cray-cray and have the injectors professionally cleaned too.

FYI, did you really source "Grade 8 stainless" studs (ASTM A193)? Or did you mean 18-8, 300-series? because thats a heck of an upgrade for a nut that takes 6-8Ft/lbs.

Big daddy Marc aka pur pony, sells some blingy exhaust manifold stainless studs and nuts. $39 is a lot, but I’ll probably buy a set for my S1.

As far as the injectors go, I think the seals have been discontinued from HD/Buell. Yes, the end is nigh.

Don't you dare be spreading that fear-mongering, Aaron! I heard that Buell taillight bulbs are going to be listed as NLA in the system! So I bought all 985 of them (Part#HD-1157) PM me for a special deal

https://sphdonline.com/products/p002...e5c2bbc9&_ss=r

But if you pay $10 for one o-ring, PLUS tax, PLUS shipping, I'm going to cut up your credit card for abuse! Injector seals are just simple O-rings. Diameter, thickness, and material. Get Viton, because gas.

Martin Fluid Power on Broadway is pretty close to your work, Aaron. AZ seal down in Chandler will MFG the to any spec you like (but unnecessary), and Parker is always a good quality/expensive source if you don't want to bother with McMaster-Carr or Grainger delivering right to your Buell graveyard (I mean your garage). TBH Napa auto or True Value hardware should have a small Viton o-ring that fits too, not to mention injectors are a pretty typical size, so that o-ring is a pretty typical part to cross-reference.

and all that ^^ is IF you even need to replace them (you should).

I looked all over the internet and can not find any of this info. Who is this McMaster-Carr? Are they a member on here?

You should just get me the oring sizes as well as 3 competitive quotes from vendors near me (within 5 miles) that have it in stock.

Your pal,
    Dirty Pleb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast