Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lithium battery behaviour

Lithium battery behaviour

Hello everyone.

I have a lithium battery in a 2003 VRod. That VRod is not running really often ; actually, I use it a couple weeks every years while my Buell is at the dealer for yearly servicing.
    So anyways, during the year, the Skyrich lithium battery is always plugged to a Skyrich charger.
    This year, the motorcycle had big issue starting. I thought it was the battery but HD told me it was 2 faulty relays. They changed those relays last satursday and everything seams fine since this weekend. Everything but one thing : the battery voltage seams wierd to me.
    Actually, after I ride the bike, the battery is at 14V but it goes back to 13.1V/13.2V within 10 hours. Is it normal for it to go back to 13.1V this quick ? It stays at 13.1V during couple a days no problem but still. It seems wierd to me that it falls this fast.
    Do you know if the is a normal behaviour ? Thanks !

Thanks for your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    NOTE: a substantial percentage of 1st generation VRSC models suffered faulty starter solenoids, over time. the clue to one going awry was inordinately high amount of relay destruction.
    We'll see if it happens again. Right now it is more likely to be because of the storage near the sea...

perfectly normal.
    as per East Penn Mfg....a world-class battery manufacturer:
    a "healthy" Li-ion self-discharges at a rate of approx. 5% in the first 24 hours. then at a consecutive rate of approx. 1% per
    month."
    do the math. you are well within specs.
    Well... 14V to 13.1V within 10 hours seams to be more like 50% than 5% and it is in a lot less than 24 hours.

Well, the point is, I want to know if the behaviour is normal or not. That is it.
    What is the "obvious" solution according to you ? Because I don't see any.

Quote Originally Posted by Niklos View Post
    Well, the point is, I want to know if the behaviour is normal or not. That is it.
    What is the "obvious" solution according to you ? Because I don't see any.
    Replacing with a lead-acid battery. I heeded his advice back when the li-ion that came with my bike was starting to go (not saying yours is), and went with a Deka AGM, and it's been great.

Thanks for your answer.

We'll see if it happens again. Right now it is more likely to be because of the storage near the sea...

I dont remember seeing anything in the instructions of my lithium battery cautioning about storing the battery near the sea? Does this apply to lakes and streams? Does the salinity of the water have anything to do with it?

Lead acid batteries dont seem to have this issue and are used in marine applications as OE equipment from various boat manufacturers for both salt and fresh water applications.

There used to be an old tale about not storing batteries on concrete as it supposedly made them drain faster or something. This sounds like a Cooter-ism.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-10-2020 at 04:41 PM.

Niklos. You have been given accurate information from smart people trying to help you. Why argue with them when YOU are the one who asked!?

Except this:
    Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    There used to be an old tale about not storing batteries on concrete as it supposedly made them drain faster or something. This sounds like a Cooter-ism.
    Old, greasy, lead-acid battery cases... maybe. But how did you know I have a tail?

I would pay particular attention to this valuable gem provided to you by the esteemed Barrett and actually DO something about it before it leaves you stranded by the sea.

NOTE: a substantial percentage of 1st generation VRSC models suffered faulty starter solenoids, over time. the clue to one going awry was inordinately high amount of relay destruction.
    Because waiting for failure will get you exactly what you are waiting for:
    We'll see if it happens again.
    $28

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/381...xoCqnwQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by Cooter; 11-10-2020 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RidetheLightning View Post
    Replacing with a lead-acid battery. I heeded his advice back when the li-ion that came with my bike was starting to go (not saying yours is), and went with a Deka AGM, and it's been great.
    Well, the 3 or 4 last time I went with a lead acid battery on this bike (guenuine HD, as far as I know, it is the same as the DEKA one), I had to replace it every single year (and it was all the time on a permanent charger). Probably because it is not being used enough. So no, I won't put a lead acid battery on that bike again as they last at least 5 time less as the lithium battery does dispite costing almost twice as much.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    I dont remember seeing anything in the instructions of my lithium battery cautioning about storing the battery near the sea? Does this apply to lakes and streams? Does the salinity of the water have anything to do with it?

Lead acid batteries dont seem to have this issue and are used in marine applications as OE equipment from various boat manufacturers for both salt and fresh water applications.
    Hmm, I think I did not explain that quite well. The salt and "sea air" has probably been degrading the bike relays. Not the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Niklos. You have been given accurate information from smart people trying to help you. Why argue with them when YOU are the one who asked!?
    Well, the only question I ask is whether or not the battery behaviour was fine. And people are telling me things that does not make sence to me. So I "argue" to try to understand whatever people say. That's it. I am not saying that they are wrong. But I am saying that it does not make sence to me because of whatever. And I want to understand.

exemple : self-discharges at a rate of approx. 5% in the first 24 hours. then at a consecutive rate of approx. 1% per
    month."
    do the math. you are well within specs.

To me, going from 14V to 13.1V in the first 10 hours is NOT "approx. 5% in the first 24 hours." it is more like approx 60% (according to Skyrich chart).

So yes, I argue because I don't understand the answer. And, again, I really wish to understand. I am probably wrong on what I am saying above, but still, if that's the case, I want to understand "why" I am wrong.
    Last edited by Niklos; 11-11-2020 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post

Because waiting for failure will get you exactly what you are waiting for:

$28

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/381...xoCqnwQAvD_BwE
    Thanks ! I am going to check if I can find such a thing for a VRod and where I live
    Last edited by Niklos; 11-11-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Well, the 3 or 4 last time I went with a lead acid battery on this bike (guenuine HD, as far as I know, it is the same as the DEKA one), I had to replace it every single year (and it was all the time on a permanent charger). Probably because it is not being used enough. So no, I won't put a lead acid battery on that bike again as they last at least 5 time less as the lithium battery does dispite costing almost twice as much.

Comical.....bordering on the absurd. your tediousness and argumentative, confrontational history on here dictates nothing less should be expected.
    if this nonsense is even remotely accurate and truthful, then the "problem'" is clearly the result of your incompetence, on several fronts.

All H-D branded batteries factory installed and sold thru franchised dealers are DEKA. all have minimum 2 year pro-rated warranty. you failed to inquire.

you are experiencing either a serious charging system problem or substantial parasitic draw at rest....or both. you failed to check.

you seem like the type that would irresolutely connect either a small charger or tender to your AGM battery for indefinite periods of time. that is the death-knell for any AGM or "wet" lead-acid battery.

if this nonsense is even remotely accurate and truthful, then the "problem'" is clearly the result of your incompetence, on several fronts.
    First of all, yes, that is the truth, second, yes, I am incompetent. I work with computers, not bikes. That's why I am asking people stuff :-).

All H-D branded batteries factory installed and sold thru franchised dealers are DEKA. all have minimum 2 year pro-rated warranty. you failed to inquire.
    On that one, YOU are partially wrong. The battery has a 2 year warranty that I DID NOT failed to inquire. Despite that, they all died within a year (I mean, the previous lead acid batteries one).

you are experiencing either a serious charging system problem or substantial parasitic draw at rest....or both. you failed to check.
    Again, as you said, I am incompetent. Also, I hope my local HD dealer is not because, if you are right, he failed to check it a couple days ago.

you seem like the type that would irresolutely connect either a small charger or tender to your AGM battery for indefinite periods of time. that is the death-knell for any AGM or "wet" lead-acid battery.
    Well, that is interesting because I am definitly using a charger that is always connecting on the battery while the bike is not used. It might not be the good way to do but that is what is written on the user manual. And again, dispite that the previous lead acid batteries all died while the lithium battery did not.

Anyways, I don't want to argue on that lead acid battery vs lithium batteries. There is not point. All what I want to know is if my battery is having the behaviour it is suppose to have. That is it.

Last edited by Niklos; 11-11-2020 at 01:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast