Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lithium battery behaviour

Have you contacted the battery manufacturer with your concerns? What has been their response?

Three_Doors_Meme_Maker.jpg

Even though your battery is fine, and everyone you ask tells you is it fine, you can still check for a draw.

Disconnect the battery negative and place an ammeter between the leads. >500mA is typically acceptable, check your service manual to be sure.

I think you mean <500mA.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Have you contacted the battery manufacturer with your concerns? What has been their response?

Three_Doors_Meme_Maker.jpg
    I did n°1 a couple days ago. No answer so far. But COVID makes stuff very difficult here. Many shop and enterprises are closed. As soon as I get an answer I will tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Even though your battery is fine, and everyone you ask tells you is it fine, you can still check for a draw.
    I know, but I don't understand WHY. And now that is what I want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Disconnect the battery negative and place an ammeter between the leads. <500mA is typically acceptable, check your service manual to be sure.
    OK, I will do that !
    Last edited by Niklos; 11-11-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Are you saying you dont understand why the bike puts a draw on the battery when the ignition is turned off?

or

Are you saying you dont understand why the battery would have a draw on it when it is disconnected from the bike?
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-11-2020 at 04:34 PM.

None of those.

What I don't understand is why the battery goes from 14V to 13V within 10 hours which means -60/70% charge. That seams a bit to high too me. But I might be wrong. Especialy as then, it is staying at 13V during hours, maybe even days without going lower.
    And, people here told me it is OK. I don't understand why it is OK to loose 1V in a couple hours. I am not saying that it actually is NOT OK. But I would like to understand why it is loosing this much power in such little time and then stays at about 13V.

edit : actually, it seams like it is what you said. I "dont understand why the battery would have a draw on it when it is disconnected from the bike?"
    Last edited by Niklos; 11-11-2020 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Niklos View Post
    What I don't understand is why the battery goes from 14V to 13V within 10 hours
    When it is connected to the bike or not connected to the bike?

All due respect, it doesn't matter where the bike was sold or where your from, if Barret says it's the possible problem that's basically from HD.

I installed a lithium battery in one of my bikes and so far I love it, I've charged it twice since I got it over a year ago. From what I understand, one should not charge it to 100% and not discharge it to 0. When the battery goes bad in the Triumph I will replace it with a lithium battery.

Theres no need to worry about how much surface voltage you are losing, or even how accurate the voltmeter is.

'If you have > 12.5-12.7 volts at rest, its all good, forget the rest.'

All right ! Problem solved then.

Thanks every one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12