Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite tire choice for 80% canyon riding 20% commuting?

Favorite tire choice for 80% canyon riding 20% commuting?

Now that I'm working mostly from home, most of my rides are for fun -- twisty mountain roads, etc.

I will very rarely ride in the wet, but don't want to be caught dead if the road gets damp. I also plan to do my first track day (and hopefully many more) on this new set of tires.

When the office reopens, I may commute once or twice weekly, about 10mi each way.

Tires I'm considering:
    - Michelin Power RS or Power GP
    - Pirello Diablo Rosso III or Supercorsa SP V2/V3

Anyone have experience with these? Any others that you would recommend?

I’ve used several rosso 2 sets. Was gonna try the 3s next time.

Those choices all over the place for tire compounds and longevity. For instance the Pirelli Diablo III will be OK on the street, great in the corners and last 8000-ish miles, the SuperCorsa is meant for the track and you'll need a new set in 2500-3000 miles.

Any DOT rated tire (including the new TD and SP) will be fine in the rain. The new silica compounds work well in the wet and all temps too. It's when you go to slicks that a wet road is an issue.

The good news is tire compounds today are ridiculously good. Bridgstone B22 is on my list for a track day/canyon tire, and I couldn't be happier with the last 3 sets of Q3+ from Dunlop getting 3-4000 miles and super secure all the way to the edge even with the power of the EBR. The Q4 is stickier (2k miles or less) and IMO totally unnecessary when the Q3+ is so solid.

Conversely, I run the Michelin Pilot Road 5's on the Buell Ss and they hold a tight corner to the edge without a wiggle over bumps and the usual road junk. I'm now at almost 10K(!) on them and finally looking to replace. Well worth the little extra cash up front.

Sounds like you're looking for a 2CT tire with harder rubber down the middle and soft stuff on the edge. Long life, plenty of traction for stopping and ripping through the gears, while very sticky at any temp on the sides. If you go looking for track day tires they'll need to be hot and won't last nearly as long.

Couldnt agree more on the Q3+. My commute is 22 miles each way with about half of it being twisties.

I'll also vouch for the Dunlop Q3+. They came with my Buell and Triumph Daytona when I bought them.

I live in the SF Bay Area as well, and these tires have done fine carving around Skyline and Hwy 84. Also did great on the tracks at Sonoma and Thunderhill.
    Those bikes and tires are well above the limits of my skills, so they're definitely not the limiting factor.

I also recently got a KTM Duke 790 that came with a set of Shinko Advance 005. For cheap tires, they've performed great. They don't warm up as quick as the Q3s, but still kept me on the tarmac at Thunderhill.
    https://www.amazon.com/Shinko-Advanc...s%2C213&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    I'll also vouch for the Dunlop Q3+. They came with my Buell and Triumph Daytona when I bought them.

I live in the SF Bay Area as well, and these tires have done fine carving around Skyline and Hwy 84. Also did great on the tracks at Sonoma and Thunderhill.
    Those bikes and tires are well above the limits of my skills, so they're definitely not the limiting factor.

I also recently got a KTM Duke 790 that came with a set of Shinko Advance 005. For cheap tires, they've performed great. They don't warm up as quick as the Q3s, but still kept me on the tarmac at Thunderhill.
    https://www.amazon.com/Shinko-Advanc...s%2C213&sr=8-1
    Thanks for the vote of confidence on the Dunlops. I think I will give them a look! I do a lot of my riding around 4 corners (Saratoga 9 to 35) to La Honda, etc. Maybe I'll see you at Alice's one of these days!

Dunlop’s are the Only motorcycle tire made in the USA. I just found this out. I WILL be getting Q3’s next go around.

Bridgestone S22.

Another vote for the Q3... outstanding stability in the wet, lots of confidence in the corners in the dry,,, have them on my Sx, Cr and 12R.

When shopping for Dunlops, it's important to note the Q3 was short-lived and we had TWO issues with those tires in my crew alone. I've seen Q3's lately for sale as old stock and wouldn't touch them, IMO.

The Q3+ is a completely different tire with a very similar name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast