Thread: Newbie

Hi All,
    Im a long time rider of dirt, sport and cruisers. Currently on a HD Road Glide and looking to get back on a sportier bike as well. Hooked on a XB12Ss, can I get some opinions on where the model year cuts are, ie at what point was a significant improvement made year over year, and thoughts on whether to buy a cheaper high mileage bike that needs work vs one that is lower mileage and well maintained. Thx in advance for sharing!
    Clay

Do you want a project bike you have to work on every weekend? Or do you want to put gas in and ride?

Generally, well maintained is always preferred, even if high mileage, compared to low miles and neglected. Neglected or poorly maintained bikes always suck, and tend to be more expensive in the long run, regardless of the brand. I dont know why anyone would want a high mileage bike that needs work unless they want a project bike to pump money into. Shut up Cooter. In fact, shut up all of you!

For a Ss the 2008-up models are the better ones. They dont make any more power, but have some updates for longevity and driveability. The 2009 models had less than 1000 built, and 2010 was only 283, so those will be really rare.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-12-2020 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks!, I have a line on a low mile 2007 with an exhaust and ECM upgrade, that would likely solve driveability issues?
    What are the longevity updates and can they be install retroactively?

Quote Originally Posted by rteyeball View Post
    Thanks!, I have a line on a low mile 2007 with an exhaust and ECM upgrade, that would likely solve driveability issues?
    What are the longevity updates and can they be install retroactively?

Are you buying a bike with driveability issues? Most of the time when that is happening, it is a mechanical issue(s). If you are having ECM issues, your best bet is to reach out to IDS for an ECM with correct programming for the exhaust and other mods.

There really are no "longevity updates" that can be installed retroactively, at least not easily or inexpensively. Your best bet is to find a 2008 or later model for those.

I bought an 04 xb12s with 40,000 miles on it for 1500 bucks. Probably ended up putting a grand into it. I like working on bikes so that wasn't an issue to me. Everything I've seen these bikes are going up in value an my bike is so clean it was worth buying. Up to you, get one that needs a little work and make it perfect for cheaper than you'll pay for a lower mileage one that still prob needs something

Sounds like the toss up is how long I will have to wait to find a clean 2008 vs the 2007 I can get right now. Im only seeing 07 and earlier for sale on a regular basis.
    Any good sources to locate one other than cycletrader and craigslist?

Facebook marketplace

The differences between the '07-'08 model years are good but far from a gamechanger. Getting a bike that was fairly maintained is much more important.
    'Low mileage' won't really matter much either as these thing last forever, watch out for super low mile examples, they can be worse than one thats been ridden regularly. My personal rule of thumb is 2000/year. any less and it's sat for too long and needs every rubber item (and a fuel pump).

But don't ask me, I like to ride them. 34Nineteen is the expert on buying basket cases that lay in parts in the garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3BcMKN-2Nk&t=28s

Don’t tell me you don’t like that 09 bike much more than your 07!

I posted up an ad for a Ss for $1000 if you want to build up an engine. If I was closer I would be all over it. Typically, I’m only interested if it’s up on blocks
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-13-2020 at 01:12 AM.

Great input guys, I have a line on an 09 and trying to lock up the deal. As a retired mechanic I find it hard not to fiddle with things so I will be back for tips and tricks!