Thread: 2008 XB12SCG shift problems

2008 XB12SCG shift problems

Hello all! I am new to this forum and looking for advice. Yes, I have used the search function as well as google which has directed me most of the time to this forum.

I decided to start a new thread and ask my specific problem here.

My Lightning is having trouble shifting. It first started when my clutch seemed to no longer work randomly one day. It would stay in gear and not go neutral with the clutch lever pulled in. That day, I had to limp her home and hard shift all the way home with no clutch response. Now, it KINDA goes into gear and will accelerate a little but won't accelerate as it should. After it warms up a bit, it no longer shifts or accelerates and just stays as if it were in neutral no matter what gear I put it in. Then it kinda makes a slight grinding noise like its kinda trying to get in gear and that's when I immediately shut her off.

I'm looking for advice on what this might be and whether it's something I can try and fix myself or just take it to a mechanic. I have tried adjusting the cable and have changed the oil in the primary. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Have you adjusted the clutch itself (not just the cable)? Did you put the proper quantity of fluid in the primary?

Theres a convenient section in the service manual that goes step-by-step to diagnose and repair this exact problem. For free! With pictures!

RTFFM
    Buellmods.com

Found on Google, or eleventy million times on Buellxb.com.

Sir: unless your intent is to completely destroy the engine's internals....and i doubt it is....IMMEDIATELY stop riding it and seek out a competent mechanic. even one familiar with H-D sportsters will understand the basic inner-workings of your XB. if you struggle differentiating between and articulating false neutrals....clutch drag....clutch slippage....then i doubt you're capable of rectifying this situation on your own.

CHECK:
    1-correct primary/trans fluid installed in correct quantity
    2-primary drive chain adjustment within spec
    3-shift linkage orientation correct
    4-clutch cable lubed and correctly adjusted
    5-clutch pack inspected and correctly adjusted
    6-primary assembly cover clutch actuator lip/ramp integrity not compromised....meaning not chipped/cracked/broken
    7-front primary drive sprocket and clutch hub assemblies both fastened correctly and not coming loose
    8-front belt drive pulley fastened correctly and not coming loose
    9-primary drive chain tensioner assembly isn't completely broken or worn way beyond specs
    10-clutch cable locator bracket at front cylinder head installed and intact....threaded clutch cable barrel at primary cover end is correctly installed and NOT cracked/broken. an issue with either or both of these dramatically affects clutch operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Sir: unless your intent is to completely destroy the engine's internals....and i doubt it is....IMMEDIATELY stop riding it and seek out a competent mechanic. even one familiar with H-D sportsters will understand the basic inner-workings of your XB. if you struggle differentiating between and articulating false neutrals....clutch drag....clutch slippage....then i doubt you're capable of rectifying this situation on your own.

CHECK:
    1-correct primary/trans fluid installed in correct quantity
    2-primary drive chain adjustment within spec
    3-shift linkage orientation correct
    4-clutch cable lubed and correctly adjusted
    5-clutch pack inspected and correctly adjusted
    6-primary assembly cover clutch actuator lip/ramp integrity not compromised....meaning not chipped/cracked/broken
    7-front primary drive sprocket and clutch hub assemblies both fastened correctly and not coming loose
    8-front belt drive pulley fastened correctly and not coming loose
    9-primary drive chain tensioner assembly isn't completely broken or worn way beyond specs
    10-clutch cable locator bracket at front cylinder head installed and intact....threaded clutch cable barrel at primary cover end is correctly installed and NOT cracked/broken. an issue with either or both of these dramatically affects clutch operation.

I have def just parked it for now. I'll try looking at all the things you listed then dig into the service manual more.

Thanks for all the replies!