Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 07 and earlier camshaft failure

Quote Originally Posted by RidetheLightning View Post
    Thanks guys, and don't worry I'm not selling. This is what happens when I'm not riding. I literally only think of things to change or go wrong when I'm not on it.
    Yeah, just run it, take care of it and you should be fine. The only reason it seemed like a really big deal is that no one ever goes on a forum or Facebook and says "the bike is running great. no issues. no questions. just checking in"

This is the rod knocking from a worn out big end bearing. Its the lower pitched clanking sound.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-20-2020 at 08:22 PM.

and the one I like to play in my Porsche while speeding down Rt 117 near Mt pleasant:

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 7.20.56 PM.png

Yeah my bike definitely isn't making that noise. it has a little bit of clatter at idle that sounds near the bottom end when it's warmed up, but nothing alarming. I got my wires crossed on the cam bushing issue and the crank bearing. Endo was right, this was partially just to wake up 34:19 and cooter....
    Last edited by RidetheLightning; 11-21-2020 at 02:03 PM.

In your defense, Buells do sound like a hot mess when compared to an Honda, BMW, Kawi, etc. The Sportster EVO platform has been around for 35 years and was designed before that. It was leaps and bounds ahead of anything Harley offered and arguably saved the company. In addition, the water cooling of a motor will tend to mask engine noises due to addition of another “wall” on the engine components and the water flowing through them. Lastly, since air cooled motors expand and contract more than water cooled ones, there is extra “tolerances” built into the motor to accommodate it.

When I got my first XB, I was suspicious of the engine noises also, luckily I was able to compare it to another and realized nothing abnormal was up with mine.

Lord help ya if you do get an 1125... that valve train design is one way to sell a LOT of aftermarket exhaust.

Does the sound change at idle if you pull in the clutch? The ONLY thing that should have "a little bit of clatter" at idle could be the clutch basket (and it's fine). Any 'whirring' (that doesn't change with the clutch lever) could be a tight or very very loose primary chain. IMO other than that they are fairly quiet besides the exhaust.

Ride the snot out of it, when it stops running or won't run fix it and then ride the snot out of it again, bunch of Lilies !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast