Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 07 and earlier camshaft failure

07 and earlier camshaft failure

So I was recently enlightened to the somewhat common issue of 2007 and earlier camshaft failure, and now I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help diagnose the potential hazard or mitigate failure. For some reason I've only read issues on 2007's, even though I'm guessing all earlier models have the same one. I do hear a little bit of noise when the bike gets warmed up, but have assumed it to be normal top end noise (no real knocking or excessive clatter). Does anyone know if it's mostly just exacerbated by hard launches or tracking it, or if it is just one of those things you just cross your fingers and hope you're lucky? Just looking for some peace of mind if I take it on longer rides, and to keep me from selling it pre-emptively for an 08.

Some 2007 models have had issues with the big end bearing on the crank failing. However, that was 13 years ago, so unless its an ultra low mile example, if you had a problem, you'd already know it. If you just keep the oil clean, with a quality oil, you shouldnt have an issue.

There is a chart on BWB that people were using to register the crank failures.

There are about 40-45 entries on the chart, and about 15 failures. Doing quick math shows there were almost 10,000 XB12's produced in 2007. If there were 100 failures, it would barely be 1%.

The 2008+ models were much more robust with the larger crankpin and better rods, which is why Mike Lowary used one for his 1170.

If you did have a problem, just send the crank to Darkhorse and they can rebuilt your stock crank to better than new.

I wouldnt lose sleep over it.... plus there are so many other things to go wrong. Look at my bike.... the top end got so hot, it basically ruined the crank in the process. Last night I noticed the rods on go from a golden brown color to black as they get towards the small end.

Also, if you do decide to sell, hopefully for you the potential buyer doesnt see this post. If I was shopping for a 2007, this would seriously devalue what the bike is worth. The reality is that all the bad cranks should have revealed themselves long ago. Even if your crank did fail, is it because its a bad crank... or just because its 13+ years old?
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-20-2020 at 05:38 PM.

You are looking for a problem that LITERALLY isn't there. Just go ride the bike man.

Not camshaft, crankshaft.
    Not common. A couple had issues. Ask Aaron
    It's possible to update to the '08-up crank/pin. Seems silly to me. Would your dead Gramma approve of spending your new inheritance that way?
    FYI. You should NOT be hearing ANY top end noise. I'm guessing it's psychosomatic since you heard the word camshaft. Your XB has a hydraulic cam and zero lash rocker assembly. This isn't a tap-dancing DOHC 1125...
    Just ride it, and ride it normally. IMO, some XB's have crank issues because people lug them around all day at 2000rpm pretending its a Harley, chattering bearings, creating huge cylinder pressure loads, while a Buell can run all day at 6900.

Just go ride.

TL;DR
    Nothing to see here people, just keep walking...

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    It's possible to update to the '08-up crank/pin.
    Word on the street is that the 08-up crank has been discontinued from Harley.

. IMO, some XB's have crank issues because people lug them around all day at 2000rpm
    Others run them for 6000+rpm for hours on end claiming that "they were designed for that" . Then sell them to people claiming "it was never abused, always babied"

If you do have a crank issue, Dark Horse can rebuild it. I think the basic rebuild is about $295.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-20-2020 at 05:56 PM.

IMG_1256.jpg
    Meh, just give it a scuff on the belt sander. She'll be ok.

Ugh! Is that your foot on the right hand side? It looks a deformed baby elephants foot.

It's not my "foot".

Thanks guys, and don't worry I'm not selling. This is what happens when I'm not riding. I literally only think of things to change or go wrong when I'm not on it.

It's not my "foot".
    Good to see you guys back at it. There wasn't any posting on this entire forum for like 2 whole days, and I was afraid the zombie apocalypse had caught up with us.

It's not my "foot".
    Well it aint my foo.... oh wait.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast