Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XB9S, XB9SX or XB12SCG Input

XB9S, XB9SX or XB12SCG Input

Hi folks,

I could use some input. I'm looking at buying a XB in the $3K range. I'm 5'9", 30" inseam (I like puppies and long walks on the beach...). I'm also approching "old-fart-dom", so I like the upright layout of the XB Lightings. I've had bikes on and off for a little over 40 years, with the last few being metric cruisers. I've had getting a Buell on my mind since walking into a Harley dealership and seeing a new 2000 Blue Cyclone sitting there. I've been without a bike for about 5 years and decided if I'm going to get another one now is the time.

I was originally looking for a nice M2, but stumbled on a '03 XB9S for sale close to home. When I went to look at it the "Cyclone plan" was changed.

The only thing I wonder about on a XB is my knees. I found out about the cycle-ergo site on this forum and that was a great help. It looks like a set of 1" drop pegs could help noticably. Reading about the CityX makes me think it would also be better on the knees, but might have a little too high of a seat height. There's also a really sharp, low mile XB12SCG for sale for a good price, but I'm a little concerned about the seat being even closer to the pegs than the XB9S I sat on.

Anyone have any suggestions or particlar models for me to stay away from?

Here are some thoughts on your exact question:
    https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...s-xb9s-or-xb12

Looks like the XB9S and XB9SX are the exact same bike except for some handguards and headlight grills.

I'm just about your exact size, and have the XB9SX. I put on the drop pegs, and once you're sitting on it the bike is very comfy. But I can just barely flat foot it with both legs down, as the seat on all Buells is quite wide and forces your thighs to splay apart.
    I've hopped on a Ulysses, and that's way higher.

Most folks here will probably tell you to get on as many bikes as you can in person, and see what suits you best. Numbers on charts only go so far.

I'd say get it and ride it. IF you find you need a change theres several different peg options and many many seats to choose from before you explore the option of adding or subtracting foam at an upholsterer.

and handle bars.

A Buell XB is probably one of the most adjustable bikes I can think of for sport or comfort

Thank you for the responses. I plan on looking at a XB12S this afternoon. The XB12SCG I was interested in sold before I was able to get there.

I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam and am a few months shy of social security eligibility. I just got an XB9xs, and have the drop pegs, regular Buell seat (city seat was too high), and 1" bar risers. Bike fits me great.

In the time since I last posted I've managed to be a day late on a XB12S and a nice Cyclone. I have another XB12S to look at and, more recently, I have been in contact with a guy that has a XB12STT. I might look as an XT that is for sale fairly close to me, just not sure I can touch the ground well enough. I figure my time to make a winter deal is going to be gone by sometime in February.

I am 5’7” and 30” inseam can I can put the ball of my feet down enough to back up with out jumping off to back up on my 06 SS (stock height and 1” drop pegs)and about the same on my XT with one inch bar risers and the forks slipped 1.2” in the front both bikes are comfortable but the Uly slightly more upright and less wind buffeting at speed.

If I had to make a choice between the two I’d be in trouble comfort is a little better on the SS but I love the bags and wind screen on the XT. I leave the top bag on all the time.

Does the SS have a similar layout to the STT? When I use cycle-ergo for the STT it seems a little funky. I like the better knee angle on the XT. The knee angle is the only thing that concerned me about the regular S. This getting older stuff....

The SS and STT are identical except for some of the plastics, handguards, and the tall single seat.

1" or 2" drop pegs are available. Where are you? I have both if you want to sit on each of them.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast