Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XB Fuel Pump alternative

XB Fuel Pump alternative

FLAME SUIT ON! Anyone try one of these? I'm not relishing the $375 price tag from St. Paul. Also...What psi should I be seeing from the pump? 39psi?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BUELL-Fuel-...UAAOSwU9VfKEwT

Buell fuel pump ebay.jpg

49 psi is factory. The regulator that comes with that pump kit it too low. People still use them though.

Depending on your year. I believe an older v6 mustang fuel pump works. There was a cross-reference thread.

Barrett will have choice words for you for not using OE parts!! He does have a supply of them in both complete and re-build status and sells them to members at a discount. If you are getting 39psi from yours... I would recommend that FIRST as there are common problems in that assembly that are addressed in that re-build kit that a straight pump-only replacement do not. Ask 34:19 and many others about pinholes

That said... I have had good luck cross referencing
    https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...ference-thread
    to the V-6 mustang pump, it is a common WALBRO unit and is used in many many applications. WALBRO is an OE brand and trustworthy IMO. I would stay away from the chinese ones like the one you posted. Even though I am the 30 minute fuel pump master It ain't worth doing it twice.

49psi is stock spec.

Why do you think you need one? Tested bad or a guess?

Thanks Shaughn and John. My bike died on me about three months back. I haven't took time to check into it till now. I have a 33 code stored. I'm wondering if it's the problem of the wires shorting around the pump inside the frame. I'm gonna try and take it apart later tonight to see what I can see.

Check it out 'Cruza and post up what you find. We'll be ready to help ya out if you need it. Being the owner of an old Toyota, I'm sure you know your way round a toolbox,

OK...fuel pump is out. Here are some pics. I'm getting a 33 code saved. I don't see any wire chaffing. This pump has mesh around the wires where a short sometimes occurs. I pulled the mesh back to inspect and I don't see any breaks in the insulation. It does look like a seal has broken down. Thoughts, suggestions...Is there a way to bench test this pump?

31vR4GQ.jpg
    1foc97b.jpg
    wC1JDbD.jpg

I would check continuity across the wires and just hook up 12v to the pump wires to see if it turns. Its going probably going to sound a bit ugly as it wont be in gas to dampen it. But, it will call out whether its really alive or dead.

You should be able to use the stock connector to hook it back up off the bike. Or immerse it in a bucket of water to see what is going on. Here is a snippet of the wiring.

BN/Y leads to the ECM
    GY leads to the injectors and coil

Capture1.JPG Capture.JPG
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 12-04-2020 at 04:29 PM.

What this guy said ^^^

Stick the sock part under water, and hit it with 12V with your finger over the fuel outlet. Don't worry about totally sealing it, you just want to pressurize the hose and regulator to look for leaks. Pinholes. 34:19 knows...

OK...The pump spins but there is no output. I took you guys advice. I put the sock in water and plugged back into the plug on the bike. Flipped on the run switch and no output from the pump. I also turned the bike over several times...nothing coming out of the pump at all. I guess I need to get in touch with John about either a rebuild kit or a new pump. Thanks for the help 34:19 and Shaughn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast