Thread: Heated gear

Heated gear

Given how much I love riding my new to me Buell, and how long this COVID winter is going to be, I'm going to get heated gear (jacket, pants, and gloves) so I can keep riding. From a thread I read here, my Buell (2007 XB9xs) has enough volts/amps to handle heated gear. If that's not the case, please let me know, and I'll get gear powered by a separate battery.

I've been looking around, and Revzilla likes the Hotwired stuff, and its relatively affordable. Any recommendations? If anybody likes the separate battery gear stuff better, or if it works as well, please let me know.

And yeah, call me what you want, but I'm ok riding when its 100 degrees, but hate it when it gets below about 50. And with all the stuff I put on to stay warm, I'm not real comfortable.

Thanks....and this Buell is my favorite street bike ever. My only problem is why I waited so long to get one

Well, Barrett--48 degrees is a warm day around here for 3-4 months/year. I pretty much ride all year except for January--lots of ice on the roads then. For sure I will look into the heated grips for the XR

The Uly was the first bike I ever had with heated grips and they make all the difference. Once you lose use of your hands its is game over.

After lots of years of crappy riding gear and mis-matched gear I finally ponied up and purchased an Aerostitch full suit --RoadCrafter(master?). Totally changed my cruising patterns. Not only do they offer good crash protection, but they are warm, wind resistant and dry. Plus you can get into it in a quick minute and over your regular clothes and boots.

No need for extra electric heating--I just wear a down vest under the suit. On really cold stretches you can stick a piece of cardboard over your chest, under your suit and that really helps--yeah funky but effective.

Opto

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    having 52 years now of legal street-riding under my belt
    So what, you're like 55 years old now Barrett?

You're lucky you have all those Amish sag wagons to pick you up when you get cold.

Then again, you're so cool that you probably never even get cold.

Thanks for the advice.

55 ? I don't think he can even remember when he was 55, I know I can't !

Fleece or merino wool next to the skin, then wool, then a good wind breaker motorcycle jacket but not a shorty unless it zips up to the pants. I just purchased some Highway 21 battery operated gloves, I can't deal with being all wired up, I haven't had a chance to test them out yet but they did get good reviews.

IMG_20201207_094107.jpg

P.S. As Barret approaches an ice patch on the road, It just melts !
    Last edited by njloco; 12-07-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Barrett doesn't ride over the road. The road moves beneath him.

newspaper and trash bags work...

All good suggestions. For context, I purchased my Buell in Canada and currently live in southern Arizona, so have migrated from one climate extreme to another!

I second the heated grips over heated gloves and other bulky stuff. I have the stock Buell heated grip kit that I installed on my '08 XB12Ss and it works flawlessly. As far as jackets go, I've had very good luck with Triumph branded gear. I have one jacket that is my go-to for cold/wet weather touring and it's a Triumph H2Protek or something like that. Very thick leather, zip out liner, some kind of treated water-resistant leather. I'm sure many other good jacket manufacturers out there, but just consider that anything out of Britain is usually built for their miserable riding weather. I have a pair of Triumph touring pants as well, which have a liner inside and are good for long distance touring in the cold. A good set of riding boots makes all the difference as well - I had long had my eyes on a pair of Sidi Streetburners and finally bit the bullet and got them. They're great riding boots for hot and cold climates due to their unique ventilation features. I'm not really sure whether my Laminar Lip made a difference or not, but perhaps that's not a bad way to get the wind off of your chest. Agree with the merino wool suggestion as well, that is excellent material if you can find it and maintain it (moths).