Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to measure fuel pressure

OP, sorry for the fun
    FYI. I have the proper fuel pressure tester, gauge and fitting. If you want to borrow it, PM your address.

34:19 is a j3rk because he won't stock his fridge.
    Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 7.11.24 PM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by nwguy View Post
    Is there an established way to measure fuel pressure on an XB (9SX)? If so, what is it specifically?
    Rev-Mo has this now: https://www.rev-mo.com/product-page/...ressure-tester

Good find! Avoid the normal Bueller move.
    It's worth $25 to have on in the toolbox. Because guessing (and spending $700 to swap in a new fuel pump...) sucks.

$700 ?!? Is that the special friend's rate that Aaron charges you?

I think Barrett's replacements are around $200. I'm glad my monkey thumbs work well enough for me to do the rest of the swap myself.

Though that fuel pressure gauge would be a cool addition. Can it be hooked to anything else? Is the Buell's connection a unique one?

Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    $700 ?!? Is that the special friend's rate that Aaron charges you?

I think Barrett's replacements are around $200. I'm glad my monkey thumbs work well enough for me to do the rest of the swap myself.

Though that fuel pressure gauge would be a cool addition. Can it be hooked to anything else? Is the Buell's connection a unique one?
    I dont think the "regular" fuel pressure testing kits available out there will attach to the Buell fuel hose without a special adapter. $25 is cheap for this. Maybe Rev Mo will sell me one.

(FYI... the $700 is a special Cooter price because.... yep, he is a jerk).
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 12-23-2020 at 08:06 PM.

Thats a reasonable charge for a OE assembly and labor from a V-twin shop (I bet HD is even more, IF they will even touch it). Especially if they don't know the shortcut. Kinda makes you realize what a great service John does for us. If your pump tests bad, he's the only guy to goto IMO.

IMO, Don't bother. Staring at a gauge that stays at 49psi all the time is boring. I would recommend putting in a tap though. For future diagnosis. So here's some options:

1) Easy and un-doable... You can use a 3/8" quick connect tee and plumb a gauge into the fuel line. Its a short line and not a lot of room in there.
    https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/3-8-...-line-adapter/
    Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 9.42.58 AM.png
    But then you have more fuel lines to route to the gauge around a hot engine.

2) You can also tap into fuel pressure at the injector casting on the TB. Remove the casting, tap for 1/8"FPT, and screw in one of these.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...4519/303518383
    Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 9.43.14 AM.png
    from there you can screw in the gauge to that valve.

3) You can use a small digital pressure gauge
    Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 9.45.06 AM.png
    and screw a 1/8"MPT sensor directly into either tapping method. That way there isn't a lot of extra high pressure fuel snaking around in those tight confines.

I would personally go the #3 route and go to a gauge that will do more than just FP. A small display that includes all the things Erik left out would be nice. You could cycle through volts, temp, ambient temp, fuel pressure, oil temp. Ahhh in a perfect world
    Last edited by Cooter; 12-24-2020 at 04:45 PM.

Those are some great ideas!

Merry Christmas to our SoCal Buellers And to the rest of you in AZ, PA and around the world too!

Merry Christmas to all! This gauge seems crazy inexpensive for the gauge,line,and fitting for the quick connect. But it doesn't allow you to run the engine and check it @ 2500-3000 rpm's as instructed. Is this not necessary to check for possible fluctuations, and not just a static "key on" pressure check? I was wanting to buy one of those "KENT MOORE?"made test gauges but don't see where to buy. Also, is a lot to spend for maybe only a one time use. If you guys think this $25. test is adequate, I'll just get one of those. Although I like the "option #3" from Cooters #16 post, but am a bit chicken to tap into my new to me Uly. EDIT: Just found the fuel test rig @ St.Paul($75.sans the actual gauge),but I think I have one floating around here somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by kz6fittycent View Post
    Last edited by TheWood; 12-26-2020 at 06:25 AM.

Option #1 is a $19 one piece, removable, fuel line "tee" that you can use with your gauge. Literally the exact function of the ugly home-built looking thing that SPHD sells for $75.

You can even buy those fittings at your local auto parts store and make it yourself, but for $19 I'd buy the simple one-piece one.

I agree the check needs to be done at 2500-3K RPM's and under load. IMO if your pressure doesn't drop when in 5th gear-WOT, your fuel pumps volume is adequate and that is actually what you're checking for fuel pump health. Pressure is only a part of the equation.

If you're not confident of tapping the fuel rail yourself, sent it (or another one) to me and I'll tap it and send it back. It's a little PITA to remove on the engine, but a 1/4" drive ratchet with a phillips bit will get it done.
    Last edited by Cooter; 12-26-2020 at 04:15 PM.

So with that "tee", I could install a schrader valve on it, screw a pressure line on and tape the gauge down temporarily in front of me where I could glance at it at 5th gear WOT for the ultimate test. Oh, and thank you for the generous offer to tap; will consider this as an option for me. This bike has become my newest obsession Will report back what my WOT pressure is in a month or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Option #1 is a $19 one piece, removable, fuel line "tee" that you can use with your gauge. Literally the exact function of the ugly home-built looking thing that SPHD sells for $75.

You can even buy those fittings at your local auto parts store and make it yourself, but for $19 I'd buy the simple one-piece one.

I agree the check needs to be done at 2500-3K RPM's and under load. IMO if your pressure doesn't drop when in 5th gear-WOT, your fuel pumps volume is adequate and that is actually what you're checking for fuel pump health. Pressure is only a part of the equation.

If you're not confident of tapping the fuel rail yourself, sent it (or another one) to me and I'll tap it and send it back. It's a little PITA to remove on the engine, but a 1/4" drive ratchet with a phillips bit will get it done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast