Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2001 X1 Project

part 2

getting the right parts Hot and the right Parts Cold is clutch for doing work like this:

freeze.jpg

....mmmm pizza bagels

tools.jpg

Don't want to be looking for tools while things are defrosting or really hot!

... I did not realize that the steering stops on an X1 are just the frame. Literally there are just little pieces of foam on the tube where the forks hit. Very easy for Fork swaps! custom steering stops are not my favorite thing to make.

However I did have to use a different top triple, the stock 1125r top would not work, you would only be able to drive in straight lines due to the build in clip-ons hitting the fuel tank. I bought a 1125CR top triple from St. Paul Harley.

That did have its own problems... part of the triple hit a tab on the frame. i do not want to start modifying my frame... so triple it is:

top cut.jpg

... just used a cutting wheel on an angle grinder.

clear top.jpg

Came out pretty good, still has a little bolt hole there in case i want to mount something there.... I have no real plans for the front end yet.
    Last edited by Spldrong; 02-04-2021 at 11:54 PM.

part 3, final fork swap

after that I just bolted it all in place. Like I said, I do not have any real plans yet for the front, that is my next project I think, not sure.

Dark forks.jpg

Sorry, pics are dark, will be more of the same pics as this continues

dark with wheel.jpg

... All I can say is that I love it. Looks awesome and should be a functional upgrade as well, I'm sure these brakes will feel a lot better.

other updates

I did end up buying that X1 race kit that was on Ebay for a while.. I am happy with the purchase... I do need a new K&N filter for it.... so if you have a fresh one, I will take it. this one is just old and pretty worn.

race kit, Ebay.jpg

I also bought an XB12R rear pully for about $35 shipped on Ebay, was so cheap I figured I might as well try it.

Stock is 61 teeth, the XB12 is 65.... I imagine it might fit. IDK, this is my first belt drive bike.

I am open to ideas for headlight mounts
    Last edited by Spldrong; 01-28-2021 at 01:02 AM.

Looks like you're having fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Spldrong View Post
    I also bought an XB12R rear pully for about $35 shipped on Ebay, was so cheap I figured I might as well try it.

Stock is 61 teeth, the XB12 is 65.... I imagine it might fit. IDK, this is my first belt drive bike.
    I told you I had one of those... The problem you might have is now finding the right length belt. These don't adjust, like a chain does.

I think you said you had an 1125r pully, Those are a bit larger, bunch more teeth I believe. The XB12R is only a 4 tooth difference... Ill try it after I get the bolts so that I can attach a handle bar to the bike and move it around again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I have an 1125R pulley I'd let go cheap for you, but I believe it's a stock XB that you want for this conversion.
    YES! Stock XB rear pulley, 29T front and a 132T belt.

XB12pully2.jpg

XB12pully1.jpg

So what I assume is the stock front pully and stock belt... not sure, but they look stock? I do not know front pully or belt size.

I put the XB12R rear pully on, disconnected the rear shock and moved the swing arm through its full range of motion. Never did the belt get to tight. That should mean that it will work!

In the picture you can see the swing arm in its "tightest" position for the belt.

.. so take that for what it is worth, I will have to count teeth later to see what size they are.

gonna pull the swing arm off now so that I can prep and paint it along with the subframe.
    Last edited by Spldrong; 02-12-2021 at 01:10 AM.

I’ve posted the pulley and belt combination you need twice now. You can lead a horse to water...

Quote Originally Posted by upaero View Post
    I’ve posted the pulley and belt combination you need twice now. You can lead a horse to water...
    So what size is my belt? I do not see it written on it, and I'm not gonna sit here and count the teeth, also... it fits. So I'm gonna roll with that until their is a problem. I want to convert to a chain drive still eventually anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Spldrong View Post
    So I'm gonna roll with that until their is a problem.
    This is gonna be awesome. Your problem will find you soon enough. Just because it fits, doesnt mean it works.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast