Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do I really want a Buell?

I drive my BMW GS most days. The Buell is just gonna be my fun little bike for nice weather and short rides.

Quote Originally Posted by kz6fittycent View Post
    Am I considered a hooligan for owning an XB9SX? It seems pretty "tame" to me. There are bikes that have way more power and even handle better but that's not why I own one.

I guess I love the idea of an American sports bike and that a guy like Erik Buell had the guts to do it - and did.

There's no reason to feel like you "have" to like a Buell. I'd never own a CBX, that thing is just massive - but I get the following; it's different and that's cool.

Buell's aren't for everyone, that's for sure. My brothers are all about Yamaha's, dad's into Brit bikes (all of us are), I like just about all the sports bikes (and classics) out there, but Buell's just speak to me.
    ^^^^^^THIS...ALL of it!^^^^^^
    tenor.gif

I like Hondas too and have owned a '78 CB400 and considered getting a new CB1000 as well. That being said, there's several different models of Buell machines and they're all characteristically very different. If the seating was too cramped for you, you might try to find an XB12Ss, which is a longer, stretched out version of the standard model XB12. It does sacrifice some of the twitch handling capabilities that the shorter wheelbase model boasts, but it's considerably more comfortable for longer distance touring and/or for taller/long-legged folks. I'm also very fond of my '09 1125CR - the engine in that bike coupled with the same frame architecture as the XB series is a really great evolution of the Buell design IMHO. However, there's something to be said for the old school 90* V-twin engine as opposed to the Rotax liquid-cooled monster. I would seek out some more Buells before throwing in the towel.

Thanks Mesozoic and all. I haven't quite given up yet. I think I'll try to find an XB12SS & see if it's more my style. I'm not looking for a bike to race. My CBX does all I want as far as acceleration and its handling is ok with me. Something about Buell keeps coming back to bug me. Hmm how about the CBX engine in a Buell chassis? There is a guy who built a V12 out of two CBX engines. Naw...

I have a 99VFR800FI Honda Interceptor that I luv. There's nothing like that V4 with it's gear-driven cam. I have a 2018 Versys 300X. It's also fuel injected, great mpg, light, and nimble. I have a 72 BMW 75/5 that is a work in progress. Plus I have my 09 CityX. The Buell has it's own characteristics that make it awesome. My admiration for Erik Buell and what he accomplished with his motorcycles is off the charts. They all scratch their own itch. The Buell line are such unique bikes. Hope you find what scratches your itch.

Quote Originally Posted by lancruza View Post
    I have a 99VFR800FI Honda Interceptor that I luv. There's nothing like that V4 with it's gear-driven cam.
    That is an amazing bike! Pics please!!!!

The correct number of motorcycles to own is: X+1. Where X is the number of motorcycles you own.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    The correct number of motorcycles to own is: X+1. Where X is the number of motorcycles you own.
    Agreed.

That is really nice. I've always like them since I was a teenager back in the mid 80's.

My favorite version is the 2007? models in the red white blue/ 25th Anniversary livery.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast