Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kick stand lengths?

Kick stand lengths?

So I'll try and make this long story short... I've got a 2006 xb12x. Ive replaced the rear shock with one from an xb12stt to lower the rear and installed 1 inch handle bar risers to be able to slide the forks up about 1/2 an inch. My home spun lowering kit has made my bike sit up just a bit too straight when on the side stand. So much that it did result in one tip over, but that's a long story and I'm keeping it short.

So my question is, can I (or should i) hunt up a side stand for say a xb12xt? Or maybe a lightning long? Or should I custom shorten mine?

Given your access to a body shop (welder), I'd say to cut and weld it back together. You can probably sleeve it with a piece of tubing that fits inside the stand until you get the correct height figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Given your access to a body shop (welder), I'd say to cut and weld it back together. You can probably sleeve it with a piece of tubing that fits inside the stand until you get the correct height figured out.
    I'm kinda leaning that way, but still kinda curious how much the length differs model to model, if nothing else to give me a reasonable guess on how much to take off without making 20 trips from the house to the shop.

I didnt realize they made a longer one for the Ulysses models, but it does make sense. I thought there were only 2, one for Scg/SL and one for the rest.

As Cooter would say, "I'm probably wron..... hey, ya gotta beer?"

also, check out this page.

http://s410372035.initial-website.co...uell-xb12x-xt/

Since Cooter has that 2009 SS, you should ask him what his kickstand length is. As I understand it, the suspension of a Uly and late model SS is practically them same, so they "should" use the same kickstand.

CODY: just saw this thread and you have a few options.
    1-any kick stand that ends in part # 94Y is for the pre-XB models. won't work.
    2-discounting all 2003 XB's due to slight mod on the factory stand to work the 1-year-only safety switch....ALL 2004-2010 XB standard model stands the same.
    3-all X....XT....Low(L)....SCG....STT stands the same....but different than the standard models. they are a tad shorter.

i don't have any XB's here right now from #3 above, or i'd get you the measurements and difference in lengths.
    any board member with a model from #3 above could help out with that spec. then you can determine if you want to cut and weld, or purchase new or used. ebay probably a source.

CODY: i still have new OEM packs of the side stand service upgrade kits, if you find that you need one when doing your stand project.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Since Cooter has that 2009 SS, you should ask him what his kickstand length is. As I understand it, the suspension of a Uly and late model SS is practically them same, so they "should" use the same kickstand.
    Yes the ss and uly are basically the same bike, but I believe the ss sits about 25mm lower? Could be wrong. This thing sure sits up pretty straight now. I had a ss for a time and dont recall it sitting funny so if it does sit lower I cant imagine how they would have the same side stand. Coooter!? I'll measure mine if u measure yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    CODY: just saw this thread and you have a few options.
    1-any kick stand that ends in part # 94Y is for the pre-XB models. won't work.
    2-discounting all 2003 XB's due to slight mod on the factory stand to work the 1-year-only safety switch....ALL 2004-2010 XB standard model stands the same.
    3-all X....XT....Low(L)....SCG....STT stands the same....but different than the standard models. they are a tad shorter.

i don't have any XB's here right now from #3 above, or i'd get you the measurements and difference in lengths.
    any board member with a model from #3 above could help out with that spec. then you can determine if you want to cut and weld, or purchase new or used. ebay probably a source.

CODY: i still have new OEM packs of the side stand service upgrade kits, if you find that you need one when doing your stand project.
    Thanks for the info john! I'll keep you in mind if I go that route. I'm still surprised they show to all be the same. Likely going to end up cutting and welding. I might even fashion a bigger foot on the end so it doesnt sink into soft ground so easily.

This pic pretty well tells the story of how I was certain it needed a shave. Snapchat-1881966943.jpg

cody: you rode your buell to southern GA from nebraska city? wow! that had to be an absolute horror show at that mini-mart.
    i think the simplest measurement would be from the tip of the ground pad to the base of the yoke. the yoke being the part with large hole for the mounting pivot pin, that attaches to the stand mounting bracket. one of the XB stands measures 9-3/8th inches using those measurement points, but i don't remember which stand it is. the factory never had those precise specs in the system.
    my welding and metal fab skills are horrible cody...but if you do the mod i would think you'd want to cut and trim the shaft of the stand up near the yoke end, where it is the thickest. just a thought.

this might work. free shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Buell-...i:233606789757

Last edited by Barrett; 12-11-2020 at 01:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast