Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kick stand lengths?

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    cody: you rode your buell to southern GA from nebraska city? wow! that had to be an absolute horror show at that mini-mart.
    i think the simplest measurement would be from the tip of the ground pad to the base of the yoke. the yoke being the part with large hole for the mounting pivot pin, that attaches to the stand mounting bracket. one of the XB stands measures 9-3/8th inches using those measurement points, but i don't remember which stand it is. the factory never had those precise specs in the system.
    my welding and metal fab skills are horrible cody...but if you do the mod i would think you'd want to cut and trim the shaft of the stand up near the yoke end, where it is the thickest. just a thought.

this might work. free shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Buell-...i:233606789757
    Lol, no john I'm not that hard core. Its Savannah Missouri. Pretty scary moment pinned next to the hot bike with fuel pouring everywhere. Especially considering the 2 brothers who were riding with me had their father get badly burned in a fuel fire on a tractor the summer prior. It's a good thing we all had out brown pants on!. Needless to say I went and purchased an ice cold tall boy and sat there for a little bit to celebrate that whole not exploding thing.

Thanks for the link!

C94A1A6B-843B-43BB-8376-E529A4284475.jpg
    Technically a Bomber but....Tall boys have solved many of the worlds problems I had to set mine down to get these pics

You asked, and shall receive

The '09 Ss and the '08 STT both measure the same at 12.75" from the center of the pin to the center of the pad.
    79C89425-9875-4082-8831-C228AFD6F3C2.jpg
    4AD45954-40BC-48A5-866A-C2ADAC150F23.jpg
    E444589A-5820-49EB-A339-F1E73FCAEEAE.jpg
    Last edited by Cooter; 12-12-2020 at 02:46 AM.

Holy shnikies, mine measures out at about 15" now I'm wondering if the different models have different mounting brackets? Maybe I'll just take like a 1/4" off it and call it bueno... 20201212_160109.jpg

Cody: there are actually 2 different part numbers in the system for, in essence, what is the same side stand mounting bracket.
    L0152.1AA---NO SUFFIX---EARLY STYLE SIDE STAND MOUNTING BRACKET
    L0152.5A8---SUFFIX L18A---LATER STYLE SIDE STAND MOUNTING BRACKET

dimensionally, they are precisely the same. the only difference i am aware of and can see in factory schematic...is the size of the hole where the stand attaches to same. early style hole slightly smaller. that would correspond with the increased OD of the mounting pin on later models.

Well, that shoots the hell out of my theory that maybe the uly stand sat at a different angle. I just thought a 2inch+ difference seemed like a lot between those two bikes. I think slowly trimming mine seems like the best bet for sure then.

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    Holy shnikies, mine measures out at about 15" now I'm wondering if the different models have different mounting brackets? Maybe I'll just take like a 1/4" off it and call it bueno... 20201212_160109.jpg
    "12.75"... To the center of the pad". I meant on the centerline of the kickstand tube, parallel to the bike when it's down. That way the angle of the kickstand pad won't affect the measurement. Looks like you are measuring all the way to the end of the tip (snicker).

All the Buells I've had either lean securely, or too far (when the pin is worn), but never too upright.
    So weird that it feels too long and on the tallest bike? I'd be looking at the bracket that bolts to the engine. Is it bent down? Spaced down? Is the kickstand tube bent?

A classic, but NSFW

Or maybe the bike has just sagged a bunch? Checking the sag measurement would tell you for sure. Look for worn shock mount eyes, fork mount height in the triple, or Ulys are known for leaky pre-load collars so maybe its just loaded up with stuff and you have no preload set?

Hopefully you find it! I really don't think cutting the kickstand will be necessary and if you do cut it and THEN find whats wrong, you'll be buying one for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Or maybe the bike has just sagged a bunch? Checking the sag measurement would tell you for sure. Look for worn shock mount eyes, fork mount height in the triple, or Ulys are known for leaky pre-load collars so maybe its just loaded up with stuff and you have no preload set?

Hopefully you find it! I really don't think cutting the kickstand will be necessary and if you do cut it and THEN find whats wrong, you'll be buying one for sure
    I lowered the bike....

Sheesh, did I miss that? 10 lashings for skimming...

Take the stand off lean the bike to the angle you want a little measuring cut and weld , Thats what I did to my Uly when I lowered it . Second pic just to show lean angle.

lowered_684 - Copy.jpg group pic_670.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast