Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buell x1 opinions

Buell x1 opinions

Hi all, i wanted to know about the reliability of a used x1 .you see my neighbor has a 2001 x1 and he is in some financial trouble and wants to get rid of this bike but the bike has been dropped (skuffed up the air box cover on right side,, the shifter linkge is very sloopy,and bike looks as if it hasn't had any matainace i think i can get this bike for 2000$ need opinions on x1 lightning thinks guys

I'm pretty new to Harley's, but it should be just as reliable as any used Harley Sportster, just way cooler. They are basically just a sportster in a sportbike frame.

Their are other differences, but essentially it's a sportster.

Um... No. Some basic parts do interchange, but with the exception of the engines core short block, Erik put his engineering hand on all of it for massive improvements in every metric.

Quote Originally Posted by Spldrong View Post
    Their are other differences, but essentially it's a sportster.
    That statement offensive to Erik Buells hard work, and us Buellers.

2001 HD Sportster 58HP, 64 Ft/lbs
    2001 Buell X-1 88HP, 77 Ft/lbs

Which is over a 50% increase in dependable HP output from the 'same engine', not even mentioning every bit of suspension, brakes, geometry......
    Last edited by Cooter; 12-13-2020 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Um... No. Some basic parts do interchange, but with the exception of the engines core short block, Erik put his engineering hand on all of it for massive improvements in every metric.

That statement offensive to Erik Buells hard work, and us Buellers.

2001 HD Sportster 58HP, 64 Ft/lbs
    2001 Buell X-1 88HP, 77 Ft/lbs

Which is over a 50% increase in dependable HP output from the 'same engine', not even mentioning every bit of suspension, brakes, geometry......

..... yes, but in general when speaking about reliability, why would it be any different than a sportster? ... and in theory if you were very familiar with sportsters, an X1 would be a very easy transition (mechanically)

I am an X1 owner by the way. I've never owned any other motorcycles with Harley engines.

I agree that if someone is familiar with working on H-D motorcycles, an X-1 wouldn't be a reach

My point is, "essentially it's a Sportster" only applies to the engines basic short-block. I can't think of any other piece thats the "same" It's not even the same type of motorcycle. DDFI-1 Fuel Injection, the whole frame and swing arm, suspension, brakes, seat, rear, electrics, dash, tank, body, even the owners are a bit different (). Some of the allen bolts are stamped H-D though so...

By your logic these are essentially a Buell
    Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 7.02.29 PM.png
    But don't tell them! You might offend a Buell owner, LOL

To the OP:
    ANY unmaintained, 20-year old bike that been dropped at least once isn't my idea of where to start with a "reliable" bike. X-1's are RAD but $2k is more than I'd pay for that one without even looking at it.

Another cool X-1, Bell not Buell. IMO similar combination of engineering and “hold my beer and watch this.”

https://airandspace.si.edu/collectio...m_A19510007000

Ha, good one there. A rocket plane would definitely give our Buells a good run for the money.

Chuck Yeager just passed away. Surely a legend in his own time and an American hero in all the best ways.

You mean the guy they told 'If you break the sound barrier, the fluid in your eyeballs might explode (!!!) so we need to teach you how to fly this thing blind. Literally' and he said yes? That guy?

LOL ya. I read his biography as a kid and it really made an impression. 97, Whew. He had way more stories than he told. They need to gold plate his balls and put them in the Smithsonian to show this new generation what it means to BE a man instead of a whiney, bearded, barista, looking for a handout.

I heard his balls were so big, you couldn't even fit them into the Smithsonian!

I know others here can speak more specifically to the X1, but these are going to be simpler to work on than most modern sportbikes. I'm not sure if that price is right for a dropped bike with questionable maintenance, as I would want to go through it with a fine-toothed comb. If he didn't fix basic things it probably says quite a bit about the rest of the bike. You have to consider you'll probably need to get tires, oil/filter, brake fluid, plugs, and any parts for obvious issues right off the bat, plus whatever else comes up. But then again, I can't think of any other charitable contributions that end with a Buell and directly help your neighbor. I guess it's a matter of thinking with your head or your heart, and I know which one most of us followed when we got our Buells.

Last edited by RidetheLightning; 12-18-2020 at 03:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast