Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 XB9R Custom Build

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Also, check your grounds.
    No kidding! Just when I thought I had my XB9 buttoned up and happy - took it out today, was riding great and then everything went black. Thought I blew some fuse or relay, and turned out that the battery ground to frame had wiggled loose. That was enough to kill the bike entirely. Damn rattlecan shaking below 1500rpm to be blamed I guess. I'm gonna go around and Locktite everything I can find.

Mike, I ended up biting the bullet and ordering a new rear mount. If you still interested in my broken one PM me and let meknow what its worth to you. As long as its a bit more than the cost to ship it to you its yours.

Alright so progress on the bike continues. I was very impressed by how little wear there was on the components internal to the engine casing. I cleaned everything, gave the case a coat of paint and essentially just slapped everything back together. Honestly, I've never come across a transmission with so little wear. Granted I typically work on synchronized transmission with 100K mile or so. But still all the bushings were in good shape, the bearings rolled smoothly there was a reasonable about of slop in the connecting rods to the crank, i know its like 0.002 on a SBC and this "felt" similar. All in all it was pretty good. See the pictures below.

IMG-0083.jpg
    IMG-0087.jpg
    IMG-0092.jpgIMG-0092.jpg

The only thing that i noticed, ad did give me a bit of a scare for a few min was some iffy machine work in the bores where the rear two lifters ride. Turns out that this area is actually in clearance and there for shouldn't cause any issues, I initially assumed it was galling on the lifter itself. (been there on my last LS build) See Below.

IMG-0085.jpg

Anyway, now that the main case is together I'm going to turn my attention to the cam case and accessories. Anything oil pump, starter, generator related that i should be addressing while i have them out. I plan to start my process of cleaning and inspecting today. It is weird to me that the tensioner really is more of an idler as its not spring loaded. Any issues ever caused by stretching belts? I also have a repair to do on the cam cover itself. I'll show that once i come up with a game plan.

It is a belt idler meant to keep the belt at the same tension throughout its travel and works just fine. There was someones idea of an upgrade called a 'free-spirits tensioner' that was spring loaded but it seemed to have a ton of problems breaking.YMMV.

Depending on your year, there is an OE upgrade to the oil pump drive gear.

Other than that these have been pretty well refined after the engine architecture was initially produced in 1952

But you could add a turbo LOL

The reassembly is continuing as planned. If one of you guys could just sanity check that my cam timing looks right that'd be awesome. I'm pretty confident but never hurts to have a second set of eyes on it. At this point the engine is on hold until parts from hammer arrive so i'll be moving my efforts onto cleaning up inspecting and painting the reset of the bike. Does any one have any info on the real coil over. this appears to have a dual adjustable set up with a remote resevior that has almost certainly lost all of its fluid many years ago.

IMG-0103.jpg
    IMG-0110.jpg

Also, as per the manual you can get for FREE at Buellmods.com.

Be careful torquing the cylinder head down. Do it VERY slowly. The lifters have super small bleed orifices and will bend the pushrods if you just spin the bolts down, even by hand.

And the IN and EX push rods are different lengths. Close, but different. Just like the front and rear injectors (when you get to that point).

Rear shocks are available new from the dealer:
    https://sphdonline.com/products/k041...06b2a022&_ss=r

They are model specific because they come with the coil. I don't know why they're so expensive now? Keep your eye on ebay for NOS stuff, I have got them MUCH cheaper before.

https://epmperf.com
    For better or worse, I sent my rear shock to these folks on the East Coast. Completely rebuilt, and I opted for a new Hyperpro progressive coil. They got it back to me within about a week or so as I recall.

Good point^^ The OE rear shock is a decent unit.

The Buell project was on hold for a bit waiting on parts but last Friday the shipment from Hammer Performance came in. I'd say it was like Christmas morning but, lets be honest, it was much better. The machine work that Hammer did was top notch and after receipt dan was very helpful in walking me through exactly what i had and where to pay close attention for fitment. Their video series were a huge help as well.

IMG-0251.jpg

Anyway, not that I didn't trust the guys a Hammer, but I'm paranoid but i double checked every clearance and fit before finally assembly. This included simple checks like bore sizes and ring gaps, but also flatness of mating surfaces and squish band clearance. Like i said the guys at Hammer know their stuff and i found nothing of concern and everything assembled very easily. Pistons, jugs, lifters, heads and rocker boxes are all buttoned up and ready to run when the time comes.

IMG-0265.jpg

IMG-0266.jpg

63469645046--D72C7DC1-CF54-4225-9B46-6D8F5EF00FF9.jpg

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast