Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 2005 XB9R Custom Build

Quote Originally Posted by mike lowary View Post
    It’s Alpha-N
    Hmmm. Never heard of it. I will have to look it up.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 05-14-2021 at 07:12 PM.

Mike, the bike has a big bore kit from Hammer Performance, their comp valve job and a very free flowing (basically straight piped) exhaust. Now agin, just assuming that with an Alpha-N tune there are histograms/maps that relate the throttle position and rpm to the volume of fuel injected. I'd like to think that you would scale fueling in proportion to the added CCs and possibly a tad more at higher rpms as the efficiency might increase a bit up there due to better air flow from the other mods.

Quote Originally Posted by C.P. Engineering View Post
    Mike, the bike has a big bore kit from Hammer Performance, their comp valve job and a very free flowing (basically straight piped) exhaust. Now agin, just assuming that with an Alpha-N tune there are histograms/maps that relate the throttle position and rpm to the volume of fuel injected. I'd like to think that you would scale fueling in proportion to the added CCs and possibly a tad more at higher rpms as the efficiency might increase a bit up there due to better air flow from the other mods.
    Have you discussed tuning with Aaron Wilson or Alex over at Hammer?

https://www.hammerperf.com/ttinstallkit.shtml#Tuning

For any other flash type tuner, it will be up to you to implement the tune to our specifications. It's extremely important that you get the spark advance tables in particular from us! In many cases, our kits speed the burn significantly, and if the spark advance tables are not implemented correctly, the motor will run hot, make less power, and you could scuff your pistons. So take this seriously please. Contact us for table values and settings that need to be implemented in your tune.

You sounds like you know what you're doing, so you may be able to work with what they can provide?

Last edited by 34nineteen; 05-14-2021 at 10:32 PM.

What you did motor wise is not real drastic. To make it run perfect then ya it needs tuned. It would probably run OK with a tweaked race map though

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Have you discussed tuning with Aaron Wilson or Alex over at Hammer?

https://www.hammerperf.com/ttinstallkit.shtml#Tuning

For any other flash type tuner, it will be up to you to implement the tune to our specifications. It's extremely important that you get the spark advance tables in particular from us! In many cases, our kits speed the burn significantly, and if the spark advance tables are not implemented correctly, the motor will run hot, make less power, and you could scuff your pistons. So take this seriously please. Contact us for table values and settings that need to be implemented in your tune.

You sounds like you know what you're doing, so you may be able to work with what they can provide?

I did talk to Aaron about tuning briefly. I planned to touch base with him again soon. But unfortunately, he didn't have anything to offer in terms of actual numbers or tunes for this bike. But as long as i know roughly what needs to get done i'm sure i can figure it out. i'm adding a hidden port for a wide band so i can get the fuel trims right. Timing wise though, I may need help to get it perfect. in the ls would i'd back the timing off for safety, get the fulling right and then start pushing the timing until i start to see knock. I'm guessing theres a different procedure for the bike and i dont think theres a knock sensor.

So after some more discussion with Aaron and playing around in the tuning software I'm pretty sure i've got a good handle on what needs to happen. I still havent gotten the bike up on its feet so that i can yank the clutch and throw that washer in the right place, or see that it wont fit over the spline, one or the other. should be picking the wheels, along with a bunch of little odds and ends, up from power coat today. The exhaust got ceramic coated as well. just a few teaser pick of the paint work I've done over the last few weeks. most of the plastics wont even need to be cut and buffed, just one little run that needs to be addressed.

IMG-0485.jpg
    IMG-0502.jpg
    IMG-0503.jpg
    IMG-0505.jpg
    IMG-0509.jpg

Do yourself a favor and pick up a ATV/motorcycle floor jack off Craigslist or offer up. They’re often cheap and with a few strategically placed 2x4’s you can make a stable platform for the motor assembly. If you run the stock muffler and do it right, it can help with a lot of different repairs.

Or go to harbor freight and pickup a $10 furniture dolly and mod it to fit.

That clutch basket is probably hitting the case without that thrust washer. Better make sure you didn’t bend it when you torqued down the bolt. Also, not sure how you didn’t notice that when torquing down the crank pulley bolt, unless you used an impact... and hopefully you didn’t do that either.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 05-30-2021 at 05:15 PM.

Thanks for the tip 3419. if i ever do a bike build again there are a few things that i'd set up ahead of time to make life easier. This would be one of them.

And i know, thats why im surprised i would have missed it. I got the bike back on its feet last night so within the nest week i'll pull the clutch assembly back off and see if i can thorw that washer in its rightful home.

So typical of the worldwideweb. Ports for "wide-bands"....Alpha-N tunes....Data logs....historical algorithms....squish bands.
    I told you on 5-20 what your pictured inquiry was, and its usage and placement including typical XB schematic part #18.
    Typical "engineer". You not only never read the sole correct response to your important question....you forgot to install it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    So typical of the worldwideweb. Ports for "wide-bands"....Alpha-N tunes....Data logs....historical algorithms....squish bands.
    I told you on 5-20 what your pictured inquiry was, and its usage and placement including typical XB schematic part #18.
    Typical "engineer". You not only never read the sole correct response to your important question....you forgot to install it.
    Haha, cant argue there. I did see your response a while back, but already had enough assembled that it was going to be a pain to pull the clutch until i could get the bike on its wheels. Yes the smart thing to do would have been to take my time and get it right the first time, but like you said I'm an engineer... I obviously knew better....

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast