Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 XB9R Custom Build

Okay, so I've torn into this thing pretty good. For being as rough on the exterior as this bike is the internals look to be in pretty good shape. Im going to start the process of measuring runnouts of rotating components, clearances in the any bushings and inspecting closely for any wear or damage. Bring my first motor cycle transmission that i've really looked at, I must say that the shifting mechanism is very mechanically satisfying.

IMG-0041.jpg

I plan to coat the engine components matte black. What type of coating is recommended on the exterior of these engine parts? I thinking an enamel paint or a power coat?

I did notice one red flag durring the tear down, the connector that connects the generator to the voltage regulator is a bit charred. I'll attach a picture. I can replace the connector easy enough but what would have caused this? IMG-0042.jpg

A few questions that i do have is, not that i have to but, how do you disassemble the connecting rods from the crank. Im assuming is a press fit connection? IMG-0038.jpg

lastly for now, there was an issue with the rear motor mount. The bracket was actually already cracked around one of the 4 bolts holding it to the case. It looks to be cast aluminium, so i'll be looking for a new one I'm assuming, i've never had a weld repair successfully work on cast aluminum. IMG-0047.jpg

Thanks for the input Cooter, I'll take a close look at 2nd gear and research adding a 6th gear, that would be pretty cool i'f its somehow possible.

Charlie I’m looking for a trashed rear mount. Ill take it off your hands.

That basic recipe for a constant mesh motorcycle transmission is pretty much identical no matter what bike it's in for dang near the entire history of them. From the first 5hp bikes to the current 205hp bikes and we all know the abuse they can take. Ahh... mechanical purity

Charlie, if you like what that basic transmission does to your mechanical dopamine (and I completely concur), check out what the newer Moto-GP transmissions do for literally "seamless" power delivery using one way overrunning clutches and separate dogs to be in TWO gears at once!

Check out "Connector 77" for the electrical question and yes the crank is pressed together like a dirt bike.

I'd just get a new mount. It will cost less than the aerospace heliarc welder you'd pay for even that little job to be done right. Go ahead and charge Mike way to much for that junk mount, he's so rich he just buys anything labeled "Buell" or "light" in any catalog. He could have one heck of a Porsche! LOL
    Last edited by Cooter; 12-20-2020 at 08:05 PM.

Charlie - while you're at it, look at getting a new voltage regulator as it's another known weak spot on our bikes. And look up installing a digital volt meter on your gauge cluster. Fluctuations in voltage there will warn you that the regulator is about to die.

I'm just sharing advance warning, as the same thing left me on the side of a highway for many long hours.

Cooter, good call on that seem-less transmission. That got the engineer in me very excited haha. Its a mechanical version of what a double clutch transmission does electronically. Very cool.

Mike, my brother in-law owns a welding business and happens to be a big Harley guy. He's going to take a look at it to see if he can do a quick repair. If not its all yours, I'll be in touch.

My cousin has said that the charging on this thing has been spotty, looks like that charred connector is a sign that the voltage regulator is shot. Add it to the parts list.

I'm all for a mechanical solution to an electronic problem I've been geeking out on the new Koenigsegg hypercar transmission too. Friggin brilliant.

If your BIL has a welding business the repair should be fine, or Thanksgiving dinner at the table next year might be uncomfortable. haha

Endo is right. Unstable charging voltage is a sign the VR is going out. There are 'upgrades' available but a stock unit is fairly hardy for the hard life they live. Jumpstarting a frequently dead-from-sitting motorcycle and expecting the stock VR to handle the full field load is unrealistic. Just another reason to ride them often!

The LED voltage display is an easy mod to do:
    looks like this
    https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...Dash-Voltmeter!

Also, check your grounds. Seriously, a bad ground can lead to charging issues and cook a VR and/or stator. Be vigilant and thorough. If it doesn’t solve your problem, it may stave off a future one.

Also, you are correct. The crank needs to be pressed apart to remove the rods. Look up Darkhorse crank works if you really want to have it done.

And, how did you remove the crank from the left side of the case? Did you press it out?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast