Thread: Rear Shock life span

Rear Shock life span

So, as usual I took a perfectly good bike and decided to make it "better".
    Since its in pieces to replace the head pipe on my recently acquired XB12Ss I'm doing tires, brakes and wheel bearings (rears were lumpy) to go with the other typically upgrades.
    Looking at the rear shock that shows signs of some weeping at the reservoir, does anyone have thoughts on the life span of shock oils and nitrogen charge. Although the bike only has 12k miles on it this is the type of thing that's as much about years as millage. $250 for a new one, worth it?
    buell.jpg
    Last edited by rteyeball; 12-13-2020 at 11:21 PM.

"In pieces to replace the head pipe"?!? Muffler, rear shock, fan, O2, and 4 nuts later...?

But ya if the rear shock reservoir is weeping, you are out of nitrogen pressure. The shock will still work but might fade under hard use. Buell says "non-rebuildable" but it's still possible. You're right it's more time than mileage, so o-rings for the reservoir cap and separating disk to re-seal it should be enough, recharge nitrogen to 250psi is typical in most shocks, I doubt Buell is different and I doubt its 'worn out' internally in the shock piston and valve stack.

I'm shocked (PUUUUUNNNNNN!!!!!) they are $250 now. I got a NOS one for the STT for $60 2 years ago through e-bay from LAP. If you aren't in a hurry I'd wait for the right deal on one. If you are just cruising, you'll probably not even notice.

Well that's just darn helpful, thanks Barrett!
    I'm in FL or SC depending on weather, so will reach out to Donny and give him your regards.
    Cooter, I have a Road Glide for cruising so this is for backing into corners (at least in my mind) I did pick up a set of Q3's per your recommendation in another thread, maybe overkill but they look cool and appear much like the Avon Cobras that I love on the RG..

I've always kept an eye on my rear shock as well - it is rebuildable according to my local shock tech, ZR1 Suspension Service in Tucson, AZ.