Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice please

I took a test ride this morning after doing a TPS reset. It ran normally (yay!). Rode up and down the street near my house a few times, then went a bit further afield. Still fine. Starts normally. No stalls. Idles fine. When I got back I plugged in my Buelltooth to see if any errors occurred. None did. However see these screenshots:

bt3.png bt4.png

What should I do about the AFV settings in ECM Parameters being 81%? Or is that relevant given that the AFV in the data channels while running was 100%?

I am going to take Barrett's advice on grounding.

I'm at sea level by the way, and didn't go up any hills. Air temps in upper 30s, or at 40 degrees.

*** Update ***

I reset the AFV settings in the ECM Parameters to 100% and saved it. Had to change my Buelltooth's config to allow saving. Went on another ride, this time up a couple hundred foot hill and for about 7 miles. It ran fine except for a few instances of hesitation when accelerating at very low speeds. Plugged in the Buelltooth again and checked the AFV settings in the ECM Parameters and in Data Channels while running. Both were at 100%. Not sure what this means. Is it good?
    Last edited by nwguy; 12-22-2020 at 07:43 PM.

There is a band-aid I am hesitant to suggest (but will anyway).

You can narrow the stock AFV limits to 95-105 to disallow the global modifier AFV from adjusting further. If it runs well you can enjoy it while looking for the issue that is making the ECM think its rich and cutting 20% of fuel from the tables.

I had ordered air intake and engine temperature sensors. One's on its way, the other is backordered. Think it's worth installing them? Or should I return the one and cancel the other order?

Might it be the O2 sensor?

I'm confused about some aspects of ECM Droid's interface. I understand that you can set AFV via the ECM Parameters option. But what's the difference between what the AFV value showing there is vs. the AFV value in the Data Channels option when the bike is running? Is the Data Channels AFV value real time, and the ECM Parameters value historical? If historical, is it peak low/high, or last read, or what?

And when setting it in the ECM Parameters option, I'm guessing that it may not stay at that value when/after running the bike because it "learns" to change it to a different value based on various other factors (environment, something mechanically wrong, etc.). Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by nwguy View Post
    Might it be the O2 sensor?
    This guy thinks so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    ...If you find that value way low (70-85 range) the ECM is pulling fuel away from the bike because it thinks its rich. Possible causes could be an old/lazy O2 sensor, ...
    [QUOTE=nwguy;626096] I'm confused about some aspects of ECM Droid's interface. I understand that you can set AFV via the ECM Parameters option.
    You aren't "setting it" as much as re-setting it. It will adjust as needed.
    But what's the difference between what the AFV value showing there is vs. the AFV value in the Data Channels option when the bike is running? Is the Data Channels AFV value real time, and the ECM Parameters value historical?
    The Adaptive Fuel Value (AFV) in Live Data is current. It is the value the ECM is using as a global modifier

And when setting it in the ECM Parameters option, I'm guessing that it may not stay at that value when/after running the bike because it "learns" to change it to a different value based on various other factors (environment, something mechanically wrong, etc.). Is that correct?
    Yes, and it learns quickly.

That is why this guy:
    suggested this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    You can narrow the stock AFV limits to 95-105 to disallow the global modifier AFV from adjusting further. If it runs well you can enjoy it while looking for the issue that is making the ECM think its rich and cutting 20% of fuel from the tables.

The AFV is not the problem and setting it, re-setting it, or limiting it's adjustment range is not the fix.

If you want to fix your bike, you have to look at WHY the AFV keeps lowering. Don't erase any codes!, they are an important clue and do not affect how the bike runs.

My total guess still is the O2 sensor. That sensor has a readout on the same Live Data page that you are seeing the AFV on. Are the values within spec? Is it operating normally?

If you want to keep throwing parts at it hoping to get lucky... they are cheap and easy to swap* and I even have an extra new Bosch one if you want to try it. PM me and I'll send it (Merry Christmas).

*Support the rear of the bike with straps from the rafters or an A-frame ladder to the pillion peg mounts.
    remove the rear shock
    remove the fan
    use a O2 sensor socket (or 21mm (7/8") crowsfoot on an extension) to remove it.
    its about a one beer job
    Last edited by Cooter; 12-24-2020 at 05:22 PM.

Thanks Cooter. I went on a longer ride. Bike ran great. No hesitation at low speed acceleration. Checked the AFV value when I got back, and it was about 95%. So I think I'm OK. Maybe that earlier low value was due to the cold, and me not riding very far. Guess I can return the temperature sensors when I receive them, but given how cheap they were maybe I should just hang on to them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12