Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buell for different markets

Buell for different markets

Hey guys, a mate has purchased an XB12ss 2010, that was originally for the Japanese market. It has several things that are different from mine and others that I've seen that are direct USA imports. Can anyone shed any light on where I can find a list of the differences? The first thing I noticed was the Exhaust pipe diameter is 1.5in and mine is 1.75......my Japanese XB9r also has the smaller pipe but I assumed it was because of the smaller cubes. It also only has one oxygen sensor (the rear) and no provision for the front one.....The local shop attempted to connect to his computer and they had limited access.

He is going to bring it to me so I can give it good going over and I will attempt to buelltooth it. This is the second Japanese Buell to cross my path and they really bug me simply because I can't find any info on them other than second hand hear say.....

I can get photo's and im willing to share any info on here about them......but im struggling to find it...lol

I don't know but it's possible that someone has put a -2009, '9' header on it?

The ECM should be able to be read by ECMDroid through your Buelltooth dongle. I haven't seen a firmware specific to any country (just different maps).

There is one odd Buell ECM that takes a higher Baud rate that won't be read. It's the legit "RACE" one the teams used, not the standard OE type ones that have it stamped in the case, those are fine.

I pointed him to this forum, and he is letting me loose on it before new years. I will take plenty of pics

So the plot thickens. He has a Drummer exhaust, and a 'Not for road use' computer. Its a 2007 not 10 as I first was told. he peeled the Japanese stickers off it before I could get photo's, but never mind. Then he produced the Factory original computer, a usb cable and USB stick with all the files......still couldn't connect with the lap top as I was unsure how to change the ports so the PCM could connect. I whipped out my Dongle and while plugging it in it fell apart...the white 3d printed part came away from the grey connector part and left me with just the wires hanging out. ARSE!
    I'm still confused as to why the exhaust pipe is of the smaller diameter.....was this a later model thing or just Jap ones!? It was running like a mad womans ****.....all over the place but I suspect it desperately needs a TPS reset.
    More time needed to work out the PCM programe, or Get another dongle, ECMdroid/ spy is so easy to use.

20201229_164354.jpg
    20201229_164555.jpg
    20201229_172447.jpg
    20201229_172613.jpg

its the cherry bomb red with see thru covers and black everything else.....its giving me ideas.
    And here's me Dongle......a bit broke.

20201229_181630[1].jpg
    Last edited by Nade; 12-29-2020 at 04:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nade View Post
    I whipped out my Dongle and while plugging it in it fell apart...
    Uh sir, this is a motorcycle forum. I think you need a urologist???

^^^ almost spit out my coffee^^^^ too funny

great bitch-slap there, David.

SIR: a tad bit of entertainment value you've generated here....but you don't even have the foggiest as to what you're working on or with....hence the endless slew of idiosyncratic questions.

YOUR XB AS FOLLOWS:
    model year is 2009
    export-only specific version
    Lightning "long" version----Ss
    1203cc
    specific japanese sales market configuration---hence the "J" code
    met Jap/Euro E4 specs at time of manufacturing---hence the stamped code
    27th buell manufactured to commence the new model year run
    left America destined for Japan sometime in mid-September/2008

you're welcome.
    Last edited by Barrett; 12-30-2020 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks for that, its nice to have our suspicions validated. Even the local agent has no idea. It is a sexy looking bike that just needs a tune up to finish it off and make it a little more friendly.
    My urologist is busy.....playing with nuts!
    20201227_174056.jpg

So my next thought and inane comments are: If the previous owner bought and fitted the Drummer exhaust and IDS computer for a 2009 XB12ss has he retuned it for the smaller pipe? it would be restrictive compared to the US models? I also noticed he had a Buell filter fitted.....this too would cause a restriction compared to the K'N filter too? as I was of the understanding the IDS computers are matched to exhaust/ intake modiforcations?

The owner just rang me.....he is thinking of purchasing a new pipe from St Paul Harley, the larger diameter with 2 oxy sensors, sounds like he is wanting to spend some money.
    I've ordered a new Buelltooth Dongle so hopefully I can access the computer properly and we can go from there. Im still hoping I can just do a TPS reset and that will be it.....but if he wants to start changing parts then one step at a time....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast