Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Owner XB9S and loving it but...why doesn't the seat fit right?

New Owner XB9S and loving it but...why doesn't the seat fit right?

Happy New Year! I have 5 bikes but I'm addicted to this Buell. I picked it up here in Phoenix and I'm cleaning it up based on some previous abuse. Does anyone have an issue with the stock seat (I have two, the high and the low) fitting properly at the airbox cover? My seats are raised up about an inch at the front top where it meets the airbox and they are flared out at the lower part where they meet the air box. The high seat is brand new never used. I can't figure out what is off? It seems impossible for the aluminum tail that holds the seat to warp or bend?

THERE ARE TWO specific seat fitments: ONE seat in multiple configurations that fits all the "standard frame" XB models which are the S...SX...L...SCG. ONE seat in multiple configurations that fits all the "long frame" XB models which are the Ss...Stt....X...XT...XP. STANDARD and LONG do NOT interchange.

here is a properly fitting seat on a 1000 mile-from-new late model SX. your S should fit precisely the same.

cherry2 (4).jpg
    cherry2.jpg

three things come to mind that could affect correct seat fitment:
    1-incorrect model seat for your standard frame XB
    2-front steel engagement tab that locates and secures front of seat has been substantially bent.
    3-rear seat locking latch has been bent or improperly adjusted
    4-seat pan being interfered with by something askew such as the ECM...incorrect battery...loose battery....an idiotic and ill-conceived under-seat modification.
    5-a bent/loose/tweaked/modified rear sub-frame assembly.

CHECK THEM ALL
    Last edited by Barrett; 01-01-2021 at 05:00 PM.

Wow, thank you for taking the time to help. How far off would the 2 different seats be? My seat is close but it appears as if it was grabbed on the front most edge where you sit and pulled up. Here are pics of the two seats that I have.

900S seat pictures

I'm attaching two files but I do not see the pictures yet. Hmmm....

Some people don’t know how to properly remove an XB seat and have warped their seat pans. Especially in the heat out here. There is a hook on the front of the seat pan that engages the plastic on the seat tray. Look between the gap on the side with a flashlight to make sure the hook is engaging the hole.

The seat slides on from the back and goes forward. Don’t let the latch fool you.

Where are you in Phoenix?
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 01-02-2021 at 02:18 AM.

Yes the hook is good. Yes, Phoenix but the high rise seat i just bought on ebay and it was new and unused.

Trying to attach seat pictures

I am pointing to the file on my computer and doing an upload and then submitting my reply but no picture, sorry. I think because I'm new they will not allow me to do attachments. Not very clever.

It takes 5 posts.

Are the rear seat rails bolted directly to the frame? Or is there a little spacer piece on the lower bolt that would kick up the tail? Common mod 10 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    It takes 5 posts.

Are the rear seat rails bolted directly to the frame? Or is there a little spacer piece on the lower bolt that would kick up the tail? Common mod 10 years ago
    You would know.

Don’t forget the gas mask.

And in your case a sheepskin seat cover

Seat different models

Hi Barrett, is it possible that the seats are so close that it simply looks warp if it's wrong? If I pick up the back of my seat (s) 2 inches off the frame, the front fits the airbox and frame perfectly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast