Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My first Buell big problems pls help

My first Buell big problems pls help

Hello all, so i purchased a 2005 xb9sx last week and thought i got a pretty good deal. Turns out i have a big oil leak from my cylinder head/base gasket and now i cant get it to turn over. When i got her she fired up and being new to motorcycles didnt know what to look or listen for but it did seem like she was struggling, and now wont turn over. this is my first street bike as ive only had dirt bikes so i thiunk im in over my head so anyone who can help and point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. im still figuring out how to post the pictures and videos that are on my phone, this forum/platform doesnt seem to like running from my phone. Bear with me and thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fielding05xb9sx; 01-09-2021 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fielding05xb9sx View Post
    Hello all, so i purchased a 2005 xb9sx last week and thought i got a pretty good deal. Turns out i have a big oil leak from my cylinder head/base gasket and now i cant get it to turn over. When i got her she fired up and being new to motorcycles didnt know what to look or listen for but it did seem like she was struggling, and now wont turn over. this is my first street bike as ive only had dirt bikes so i thiunk im in over my head so anyone who can help and point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. im still figuring out how to post the pictures and videos that are on my phone, this forum/platform doesnt seem to like running from my phone. Bear with me and thanks in advance.
    Just for context, did you change the oil and overfill it by a long-shot? It only takes 2.5 qts. A leaking base gasket AND a leaking cylinder head might indicate maybe somebody when to town in 1st gear at 90mph. Was it over-revved? Or was it overheated?

I have like 100 questions but there's some background that might need to be addressed before we can help you over the internet. Otherwise, sad to say, you may be looking at a rebuild. Others may have more input. Who am I kidding, 100% chance someone else has something to say.

i havent filled with oil, i just got it tuesday, went and test rode it and it started right up so i loaded it and took it home and have started it up a cpl times and rode it down the street two days ago and when i went to tinker on it today it started up. i took the seat off and checked the air filter and put it all back together and was going to drive it up the street again and it wouldnt turn over. im trying to upload the video but my tech skills are terrible. Its only leaking in one spot that ive found and its at the base of the cylinder head.

Ha man at 33 years old I’ve never felt so technically disadvantaged, how the heck do I upload a video from my phone, I keep trying to add photo and hit upload but it doesn’t do anything. Here is also a spot of concern, I don’t think I should see the thread lock 2A5179B6-5921-42D0-A138-668539A25385.jpg

It doesn't sound like you are a mechanic. IMO, go find one. Any decent V-twin shop should be able to help you.

Want to play mechanic? Sure. We'll help Start here:
    http://buellmods.com
    Diagnostic flow charts are in the back.

Hopefully those links work, thanks all for the replies haha I can’t calm downnn I wanna riiiide. Talked to a friend who builds Harleys and has a shop and spoke with another guy who knows the sportster engine really well who is going to look at her, pretty much in over my head so going to have to pay someone to fix her.

Clint Eastwood said it best; "A man's got to know his limitations". Me, as a Contractor, I say "When in doubt, sub it out". You should make a copy of post #6, download your service manual as Cooter suggested, and bring copies of all that to the mechanic you choose. Just let him know your trying to help the only way you know how; so he doesn't get butt hurt. Having that info. will definitely be helpful. Let us know how it turned out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fielding05xb9sx View Post
    Hopefully those links work, thanks all for the replies haha I can’t calm downnn I wanna riiiide. Talked to a friend who builds Harleys and has a shop and spoke with another guy who knows the sportster engine really well who is going to look at her, pretty much in over my head so going to have to pay someone to fix her.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast