Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My first Buell big problems pls help

Quote Originally Posted by Fielding05xb9sx View Post
    Talked to a friend who builds Harleys and has a shop and spoke with another guy who knows the sportster engine really well who is going to look at her, pretty much in over my head so going to have to pay someone to fix her.
    You may want to find someone who actually WANTS to work on a BUELL. Shops that build Harleys typically aren't your best bet as they want to work on HARLEYS. Not some 15 year old weirdo wanna be sportbike looking thing. Just because it was sold at a Harley dealer, doesnt make it a Harley. Step back and look that bike, then look at a Harley. Realize that only about 10% of the parts on the Buell are shared with the Harley. Buell even calls that out in a training video.

I'm not saying they cant do it... but do they WANT to do it? Have you ever seen what happens when someone is tasked with a job they dont want to do?

Unless you can find that shop, and if you have no mechanical skills, you may be best to sell the Buell and buy a Honda/Ducati/Yamaha/whatever.

And that job is a PITA, as the motor needs to be rotated which will take about 1/2 a day for the first time, or better yet separate the frame from the motor. Then the throttle body assembly needs to come off as does the rear head and cylinder as the very least.

Its not hard, but it is very time consuming... especially for someone doing it the first time. The indy Harley shop by my house charges $100/hour, so multiply by 8 hours, and you're into $800 in labor alone. Figure in $100 or so for gaskets and seals and you'll be close to $1000 by the time tax is figured in. But hey, if you can't calm downnn and wanna riiiide, you know what you have to do. I'm still waiting for some knucklehead from Florida to send me parts he promised we were sent weeks ago. I dont want to mention any names, but it was Cooter.

If the shop has dealt with Buells before, they'll likely not want to do "book time" and just go off actual time since they'll know the first time is going to be a losing deal as the mechanic will likely have much more than 8 hours involved in this.

It only takes me about 30 minutes to pull the frame, but I've done it more than a few times, and I like working on XB's.

Hello all, so i purchased a 2005 xb9sx last week and thought i got a pretty good deal. Turns out i have a big oil leak from my cylinder head/base gasket and now i cant get it to turn over. When i got her she fired up and being new to motorcycles didnt know what to look or listen for but it did seem like she was struggling, and now wont turn over. this is my first street bike as ive only had dirt bikes so i thiunk im in over my head so anyone who can help and point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. im still figuring out how to post the pictures and videos that are on my phone, this forum/platform doesnt seem to like running from my phone. Bear with me and thanks in advance.
    Hey man I get it. Excited for first street bike, especially a Buell. You've already felt some of the forum initiation, so try not to take any words said too personally. Everyone here just wants you to be safe, and also to not make the problem worse. It's easy to get worked up when you see something wrong with the bike you just bought, and start to think everything is FUBAR on it and second guess every potential failure point. Solve the main problem, and then go check all the items that could affect safety. This does seem a bit involved, so hopefully you didn't pay too much for the bike if you end up taking it to a mechanic. Like 34 said, make sure they know Buells. I called one that said they've worked on them awhile back, and when I mentioned the rear rocker box gasket on my XB required an engine rotation, he said it didn't and that he just gets in from taking the tank off. Reading everything first is highly advised, even if you're not going to be the one doing the work. If you feel like going VERY slowly and learning a lot about your bike, I'd say go for it, as long as you have the space to put the bike up for awhile, patience to do it right, and the money for the right tools/parts. I'm handy, can follow instructions, and know generally how most of the stuff on a bike works, but haven't done much of my own wrenching beyond regular maintenance before buying my Buell. I knew I might have to get in pretty deep, but you're in good hands here with the advice already given (see: Barrett, Cooter, and maybe even 34nineteen if you don't mind some cheap shots). Just make sure to follow the service manual and search the forum first before you ask questions, because most of them have already been asked and have some great answers/guides.
    Last edited by RidetheLightning; 01-11-2021 at 09:18 PM.

Hey all, thanks again for the support and wise words, definitely helped hearing that RidetheLightning. So one of the guys who says he knows the sportster engines gave me a rough quote on the labor alone at $1200 on the high end. Hes interested in doing the work, like hes not being forced or made to feel obligated, from my understanding he just likes working on engines. Hes also talking about possibly upgrading the engine if i want to and if cost wise its not ridiculous, like a new bore kit? Seems to make sense seeing as how the engine needs to be pulled anyway and has almost 30,000 miles. So i purchased the bike for $2800 under the impression it was mechanically sound. What does everyone think, should i dump the money into this bike and have a mechanically sound almost new engine or do i try to sell this bike close to what i paid (did i get completely ripped off?) and search for a better buell xb? There are a couple nicer looking ones in the $4k range which is roughly what ill have totally invested should i opt to fix her up, but then again you never know if these are mechanically sound. Man what a bummer, ive wanted Buell since i was a kid, this is certainly not going to stop me, but need to be smart about which way to go from here. Also, thats just one quote, there are three other guys who said they would take a look for me and two are friends who would possibly help in assisting me which would be ideal, id love to learn how to work on this engine and as a carpenter im good with my hands and using tools so who knows, maybe this will work out in my favor, fingers crossed, cheers -Fielding

ps im located in Wilmington NC, southeastern NC on the ocean, anyone know any Buell guys around here that could help?
    Last edited by Fielding05xb9sx; 01-11-2021 at 10:36 PM.

It could be something as simple as a PCV gasket on the top of the rocker box cover thats blown out and covering the cylinder with oil, draining down to the lowest part. Might not even be a "rotate" kind of issue.

Hey all, thanks again for the support and wise words, definitely helped hearing that RidetheLightning. So one of the guys who says he knows the sportster engines gave me a rough quote on the labor alone at $1200 on the high end. Hes interested in doing the work, like hes not being forced or made to feel obligated, from my understanding he just likes working on engines. Hes also talking about possibly upgrading the engine if i want to and if cost wise its not ridiculous, like a new bore kit? Seems to make sense seeing as how the engine needs to be pulled anyway and has almost 30,000 miles. So i purchased the bike for $2800 under the impression it was mechanically sound. What does everyone think, should i dump the money into this bike and have a mechanically sound almost new engine or do i try to sell this bike close to what i paid (did i get completely ripped off?) and search for a better buell xb? There are a couple nicer looking ones in the $4k range which is roughly what ill have totally invested should i opt to fix her up, but then again you never know if these are mechanically sound. Man what a bummer, ive wanted Buell since i was a kid, this is certainly not going to stop me, but need to be smart about which way to go from here. Also, thats just one quote, there are three other guys who said they would take a look for me and two are friends who would possibly help in assisting me which would be ideal, id love to learn how to work on this engine and as a carpenter im good with my hands and using tools so who knows, maybe this will work out in my favor, fingers crossed, cheers -Fielding

ps im located in Wilmington NC, southeastern NC on the ocean, anyone know any Buell guys around here that could help?
    I would not be dismayed at 30k mileage, and you'll only know the state of the motor by taking it out. I would feel pretty awful selling it in such as state as well, not that you would get $2,800 for a bike that does't start. I'd' also have some choice words for the seller if he did not disclose anything, though there's not much you can do there. Make sure this guy still has the service manual. These motors are based off sporter motors, but not interchangeable. If Barrett's diagnosis instructions were over your head, I would at least take off the airbox cover and base plate to get a better look at exactly where the oil is coming out. Is the motor siezed, or just won't start?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    It could be something as simple as a PCV gasket on the top of the rocker box cover thats blown out and covering the cylinder with oil, draining down to the lowest part. Might not even be a "rotate" kind of issue.
    On his video, it shows the motor "blowing bubbles" at the base gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by RidetheLightning View Post
    I would not be dismayed at 30k mileage, and you'll only know the state of the motor by taking it out. I would feel pretty awful selling it in such as state as well, not that you would get $2,800 for a bike that does't start. I'd' also have some choice words for the seller if he did not disclose anything, though there's not much you can do there. Make sure this guy still has the service manual. These motors are based off sporter motors, but not interchangeable. If Barrett's diagnosis instructions were over your head, I would at least take off the airbox cover and base plate to get a better look at exactly where the oil is coming out. Is the motor siezed, or just won't start?
    What this guy said ^^^^^

If the motor is seized, you're going to need to knock about $2000 off your asking price. I am working on an XB I picked up for less than $1000 that had a bad motor, and I will be upside down on it by the time I get it back to running condition... and I am not paying for labor. To me, it seems unlikely like a seized motor is the case, but until you get it running or apart, its hard to tell. Do you want to spend the $$$ for labor on a motor that could be toast?

At this point you are going to have to do some soul searching to figure out if your "wanting a Buell since I was a kid" desire is on par with spending the money to fix it. Granted, it is probably "just a gasket" but its buried deep within the bike. If this was happening on a Sportster, the job would take about an hour or two... or as Cooter would say, "a 3 beer job".
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 01-12-2021 at 01:59 PM.

Sir: Wilmington, for a multitude of reasons, is a very difficult environment for motorcycles, let alone an air-cooled V-twin Buell. i would suspect that lurking beneath these initial problems you've outlined, are several more requiring immediate attention. not to impune your judgment, but IMO it was a poor choice for your first street-duty motorcycle, and quite possibly was substantially misrepresented by the seller. from your description you "took a quick test ride" and then "a short ride up the street"...and now it's all this.
    NC new and used vehicle consumer protection laws specifically address and cover what you've just experienced.
    immediately contact the seller....describe the known defects....quote NC law if necessary...and demand to return it for full immediate refund. clearly, both this bike and its readily apparent problems are not for you. resolve this, then buy something else. what that might be is entirely dependent on your tastes and riding intentions.

I mentioned the rear rocker box gasket on my XB required an engine rotation, he said it didn't and that he just gets in from taking the tank off.
    This is correct. At minimum, it requires a rotation. I prefer to do a complete removal. I feel the added steps taken to remove the frame from the motor, make the process of working on the motor much much easier. YMMV.

, but you're in good hands here with the advice already given (see: Barrett, Cooter, and maybe even 34nineteen if you don't mind some cheap shots).
    Heheheh. He's not kidding.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast