Thread: Fuel line drain plug

Question Fuel line drain plug

Hi - a long-time XB12R Firebolt owner, new to this web site and forum, so please excuse this probably stupid question. I have a 2004 Firebolt that hasn't run for a few years, and I need to drain whatever fuel is left in the tank out of the system before getting it up and running again. I have a copy of the service manual, which is all good, except that it tells me to replace the drain plug after removing it to drain the fuel. I've done a lot of searching and can't seem to find these carried anywhere, which doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. (I haven't actually dismantled the bike to see exactly what this looks like, all I know is from the picture in the service manual). Can anyone please help me out on this? I don't want to drain it without the ability to put it back together right away. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

A quick search of the part number showed 21 available at vintage that can be purchased through your harley dealer and one on eBay.

Lefty loosy, righty tighty. I don’t know what else to tell you.

Beyond that you will want to take it to a mechanic. Gasoline is flammable and very dangerous. Be sure to remove the battery cables before beginning and be sure to not do this around a spark or open flame. Do not drink the gasoline. I found those tidbits of advice in a google search also.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 01-13-2021 at 06:46 AM.

Sir: as per your title, there is no such thing as a fuel LINE drain plug. should read fuel PUMP drain plug. the service manual info was worded incorrectly and should have been amended in subsequent issues, but never was.
    1-the fuel pump is located in the lower portion of the left side frame/tank spar
    2-the drain plug does NOT require being replaced...if handled properly and not ham-fisted and stripped
    3-the drain plug part # is P1203.3A8-------just for your info. several still in dealer parts system
    4-WHAT YOU SHOULD REPLACE when working in that area and draining the frame/tank...are the 3 sealing O-rings.
    TWO LOCATED ON FUEL PUMP OUTLET PORT
    ONE LOCATED ON DRAIN PLUG
    part # for them is P0127.02A8

i keep them in stock for board members. original MSRP was $1.99 each.
    board member cost is THREE for $3 and $1 shipping.

No truer words have been spoken from a finer gentleman.

Thanks. That's very helpful. I still end up with dead ends searching for the drain plug itself (harleydavidson.com doesn't recognize Buell as existing), but I'm pretty sure I can manage to not destroy it. I'll happily take the o-rings; again, new here, so how do we arrange that. Paypal? Thanks again.

my pleasure and the task of draining the frame/tank is quite easy. refer to below link originally generated by long-time board member Carlos...for a great tip on how to simplify things. a recommended necessity to avoid potential sparking when doing this job....is to remove your seat....disconnect NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE at battery terminal...and wrap it in tape and set aside. play it safe when working on these pumps.

reach me at: scootertrash196@yahoo.com and i'll get you fixed up.

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...-XB-fuel-tanks

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusionist View Post
    harleydavidson.com doesn't recognize Buell as existing
    Thats really bizarre.

Capture.jpg

If I search on "harleydavidson.com" for "Buell" I get the following useless reply. I don't know what's different here. Thanks.

HD screenshot.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    ' That's really bizarre.

Capture.jpg
    +1 I agree with you.