Thread: Thinking of buying this M2

Thinking of buying this M2

Hey there. I don't have any experience with Buell bikes, but I'm thinking about purchasing this used M2. The asking price is $2000. I have ridden a few sport bikes in my years but my long-term bikes have been cruisers. I've been doing a good bit of reading of these threads to get an idea of what kind of animal an M2 Cyclone is, but I am curious to hear opinions from y'all on a few things:

How aggressive is the riding position on these bikes? Are they fun for relaxed riding as well as hitting curves?
    What do you think of this bike in particular, and the asking price? What should I look for when I go to inspect this bike?
    What would you consider important things to do to this bike?

The seller says that this bike has "cafe racer style handlebars" and "Erik Buell racing thunder heads/cams," other than that, it is stock.

Thanks for your opinions!

Buell M2 1.jpg
    Buell M2 2.jpg
    Buell M2 3.jpg
    Buell M2 4.jpg

Read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buell_Motorcycle_Company

and watch this:

The bike looks like it was dropped on the LH side. The stock header and exhaust are missing. Make sure the shock isnt leaking, and the fuel tank paint isnt bubbling. As long as the bike is working mechanically, it should be OK. Aside from the motor, the rest of the parts are (mostly) Buell specific and most are not available new anymore (like the front muffler mount), so it the seller claims "you can get it new from the dealer" you'd better double check first. Remember this is a 20 year old motorcycle, but it looks pretty good for $2000.

There parts and service books available for download at buellmods.com

Dont listen to that guy on badweb called Shoggin. He is a jerk.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 01-15-2021 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks, I've watched that video a couple of times and have read threads about "tubers" and such. I like turning wrenches on bikes, but not more than I like riding them. I'm basically deciding between this bike and a sportster. Buells are obviously a better value given that the engine is the same, but the aftermarket support kind of worries me. I think I just have to get my butt on this bike and see if it speaks to me or not. Thanks for your thoughts. What do you think about the "Erik Buell racing thunder heads/cams" that the seller mentions? Is that a common mod that changes performance noticeably?

Quote Originally Posted by K.Wat View Post
    Thanks, I've watched that video a couple of times and have read threads about "tubers" and such. I like turning wrenches on bikes, but not more than I like riding them. I'm basically deciding between this bike and a sportster. Buells are obviously a better value given that the engine is the same, but the aftermarket support kind of worries me. I think I just have to get my butt on this bike and see if it speaks to me or not. Thanks for your thoughts. What do you think about the "Erik Buell racing thunder heads/cams" that the seller mentions? Is that a common mod that changes performance noticeably?
    Those are likely just the stock Thunderstorm heads that those bikes came with stock during those years. They were good in the day, but the newer XB 04-up Sportster heads are much better.

The Buell is going to be faster, handle better overall and be a lot cooler and rare than a Sporty. But the Sporty will likely be more reliable, and have much better aftermarket support (like you mentioned). Also, there are several companies, like Hammer than can help you build a Sporty motor to the same or better than the stock Buell motor.

PS. I think i like wrenching more than riding.

PPS. read this about the heads. https://www.hammerperf.com/ttxlheads.shtml#1991-2003
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 01-15-2021 at 09:20 PM.

IMO an M-2 is one of the great bikes that truly does everything very well. You could always spent $50 and change the handlebars to something with just a little rise to them, depending on your size and preference.

I got on a M-2 in South Dakota (Sturgis) and rode Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Canada, Washington, back to Canada, down through Idaho, in to Utah, back to Idaho, up through Oregon, and back to Spokane, WA.

I honestly didn't want to get off even then.