Thread: XB12 Clutch Shell and Compensating Springs

XB12 Clutch Shell and Compensating Springs

long time no see folks!!! I must admin I've been lazily getting my Buell interactions on Facebook. Facebook has its short comings and more than its far share of @$$ Clowns. There are some good folks as well.

But today I'm looking for a second opinion, or shopping for answers :-)

Tore my XB12 apart today, to change the leaky primary cover gasket. I figured I'd also change the clutch plates preemptively. The clutch is fine, bike has 30,000 miles / 50,000 kms so its probably getting due. I haven't spec'd the plates yet but I will. That's not the issue.

When you flip the clutch over and examine the Clutch Shell, the six compensating springs are all different lengths. One is perfect, the other five range from 1/16" to 1/4" too short. The service manual explains that different lengths are normal but it does not give specific lengths or tolerances. I'm going to tear apart a 2000 tuber to compare, but the tuber 1200 and the XB engines are significantly different so I may be barking up the wrong tree. If you grab the starter gear and attempt to turn it, there is no play or slack. The needle bearing is also fine. Actually the clutch looks terrific. The primary oil was also clean.

Here are some pics, hoping some of the old timers can weigh in. I haven't priced a new clutch basket/shell but don't doubt it's a couple of bucks. Here are some pics.

IMG_3087.jpeg
    IMG_3088.jpeg
    IMG_3089.jpeg

I have a few XB’s apart (shut up Cooter!). I’ll look into this tomorrow

34:19 has a few Buells apart, he should look into it and get back with you tomorrow.

IMO, if you aren't hearing any odd Ducati-dry-clutch-like-rattling with the clutch out in neutral, I'd leave it alone.

Sorry to side track, but are the xb clutches the same across all models? 900 included?

XB's do NOT have a "cush drive" in the normal sense of the word.
    a combination of the clutch pack assembly "judder spring compensating plate"...along with the actual drive belt...is a form of a cush-drive in the buell XB world.

the 6 spring assemblies held captive in the back of the clutch basket are asymetrically located. they are NOT part of any "cush drive" effect or process. their sole purpose is to cut down on clutch plate chatter. the approx. measurements you mentioned normal. as shaughn mentioned, leave them alone.
    NOTE: when reassembling and referring to SM clutch assembly schematic....CAREFULLY CHECK thrust washer part #30. have seen a few thru the years with substantial wear as well as minute cracks related to the clutch basket assembly coming loose. check carefully...replace if not pristine.

Thank You for the verification. The clutch and associated parts all look great. I’m going to go over it all again with a fine toothed comb, but I’m most likely not going to replace the clutch shell

I have a 2005 800SS Ducati with a wet clutch :-) that clutch died at 15,000 KMS, I suspect I used the wrong oil.