Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello Buell World

Hello Buell World

Hello All,

I am new to this form, and haven't even "lurked" here before registering. I live in the SF Bay Area (San Lorenzo), and will be looking for an XB9R in a few months. Commuter, weekend and ride anytime bike(no rain preferred). Need to finish a few projects, and then I'll have the $$. My history has been with a 1985 Kawasaki GPz550 which I have owned since 2003, and a 2003 Suzuki SV650s AFM Prod Bike(haven't raced it since 2015, and is one of my projects). I raced another 85 GPz550 with AFM from 2010-2013. After wining the Formula Vintage Class in 2013, I moved up to 650 Twins(now 700 Production). I won the Vintage Championship in 2013 on the GPz(not really a lot of entrants), but shortly after buying the SV, we bought a house, and you al know what that means...

Anyhow looking on Craigslist, there seems to be quite a few XB9R's out there. Most have low mileage(less than 25,000), and aren't asking very much for them. Why is this, other than Buell is no longer making bikes anymore, as I do know the story.

Thanks for keeping this place going.

Corey
    San Lorenzo, CA.

f97b8dfb-bdbc-4f9d-8ea3-dcf081d767b9_zpsswer2qri.jpg
    IMG_5478 (1).jpg

31367c2c-aa21-4be2-8095-214db2ec17ad_zpsu2pcdmgi.jpg
    Buttonwillow 2016.jpg

I'm a noob here also, and wanted to welcome you to the Forum. I've already gotten excellent help here in getting my new to me 1st Buell(an 06' XB12X Uly)dialed in and running great. I haven't raced bikes, but go to track days occasionally at both Sears Point(Sonoma)and Thunderhill with my car. Regarding the low price and what appears to look like a dump, I believe it's as you say, no more making Buells as well as from those who aren't too good at wrenching on there own bikes and keeping them going. And H.D. for the most part not wanting to give the redheaded stepchild any love. I had to order a couple of parts from the Netherlands(Twin Motorcycles bv) because the P.O.had butchered the fork cap threads,and wait for them when I rebuilt the forks. But not really a big deal. You obviously do your own wrenching, and I think it's pretty cool that a guy that races, or raced bikes, is wanting to choose a Buell. I'm pretty sure there are a couple of other racers on here. I don't know the XB9R as I know my Uly, but good luck w/ finding a gem; they're out there.

Hey Corey and Wood, welcome to the group! Some of us can get ornery at times, but it's a wonderful bunch of very helpful and knowledgeable gearheads.

I'm in Pacifica, just outside of SF. Would be fun to meet up with you guys one of these days. I've got an XB9SX along with the other shiny toy.

I think Buells are just the overlooked stepchild, lacking the name recognition of the bigger brands. Those who haven't ridden one just don't know what they're missing. I also suppose not everyone likes the quirky looks.

Pricing for used motorcycles overall blows my mind. Most of the ones on CL sell for much less than the average carbon fiber bicycle. Damn millenials...

Thanks for the replies. As for hurting my feelings and sarcasm, I am not from that side of the fence. The saying, "The only stupid question is the question not asked", well that guy is stupid. I heard a saying long ago that still stands today, "Never argue with morons. If you do, You will lower youself to their standards, and they will win based on experience."

As for "quirks" for the XB9R, or the old "what to look for..." I am still hunting through the search functon for information, and year differences, as Google doesn't pop up with many results. If there is a word I can search for here that would help, I'm up for using it.

How is it shopping for parts? I see quite a few used parts on Flea-Bay. As for service, will HD not even service them, or is it beter to find a good shop for this(kind of a loaded question).

Not getting too excited just yet, just pre-excitement. The 12 might be faster and bigger, but for my useage, the 9 seems to be what I am looking for, and the looks check that box too.
    Last edited by CoreyDSFA; 01-20-2021 at 01:18 AM.

INFO:
    many XB parts interchange between years and models

the difference between the 9 and the 12 motors is a mere 219cc. that difference achieved via stroke dimensions

though i never had any problems with either of the first production year 2003 XB's that i have owned...they do leave something to be desired: unique and undersized F&R belt pulleys and drive-belt....unique belt guards....overly complex and quirky fuel pump which is a bitch to rebuild

the below should keep you busy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3BcMKN-2Nk

https://daviddreesen.blogspot.com/20...1983-2009.html

http://www.steveturnbull.co.uk/buell...s/xbmodels.htm

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...el-differences

Welcome to the forum Corey Ya we smartass a bit here, but its all well intended and theres a group of very helpful and knowledgeable peeps here. Feel free to ask about the Buell-izms, but start here for a free service manual:
    Buellmods.com

and here for tuning tools:
    Rev-Mo.com

Any DDFI-3 bike* ('08-up) will accept a quickshifter with only the sensor and has some upgrades to the oiling system and crankshaft.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3BcMKN-2Nk&t=28s

Get used to getting passed on the straight LOL. The powertrain was so optimized from the factory (at 190% output from the core motor) that it's fast but there isn't a lot of HP to free up. But really, theres plenty of people who are tracking their Buells. Theres a guy in Florida with a full custom frame on his XB12 thats running AMA right now and kicking butt, but checkout Splitlath racing, Mark Miller, Geoff May, for the old WSBK news.
    I've had a XB12Ss, 1125CR, and now an EBR1190 on the track and love how maintenance free they are.
    Since you are used to making a small bike go fast, you will appreciate how well these handle and will probably be very fast on it as well.
    Take care of your forks (stock are fine), get the front EBR race rotor (and hardware), and get the Brembo or STS Trackday or Race brake pads. Upgrade to the later ZTL-2 caliper and use a 19mm radial master cylinder off any number of new bikes (like a Duc Monster).
    Have fun!
    Love that Gpz 550

*Thanks, you nitpicking squirrel. What you want only facts now? Go restock your fridge...
    Last edited by Cooter; 01-20-2021 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyDSFA View Post
    "Never argue with morons. If you do, they will lower you to their standards and win based on experience."
    What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Any DDFI-2 bike ('08-up)
    Do we even know you anymore?

Last edited by 34nineteen; 01-19-2021 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    What the hell is that supposed to mean?
    Sorry I have fixed it above...

Thanks for the links, it WILL keep me busy for a while. The Buellmods.com link does not work for me. Others are fine.

I really don't plan on racing anymore, but I can be coersed into doing a track day from time to time, if I can still fit in my leathers.

Buttonwillow 2013 winning my first race on the GPz550.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast